Change location in summer??

Deci22

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Ok..another newbie questions for you guys!...I like to plan things out ( maybe a little too much ). I feel confident for spring, or at least as confident as I can being new to Bonsai. Once summer gets here, the rains come July-September. The location of my trees is on a S/SE balcony which they seem to be loving the morning sun. During rainy season my plants have to be moved in the evening because the amount of rain we get overwaters them in their pots. My two trees (the elm and the spiny olive) have been repotted are are in good draining soil vs the plants in potting soil. The maples are moved back getting more dappled morning sun and wont get overly wet.. Should i be taking the same precaution with the elm and spiny olive? I feel like i shouldnt have to because of the soil, but it is an awful lot of rain, anyone in south or central coastal FL run into issues?

Deci22

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It’s virtually impossible to overwater a tree in bonsai soil. What substrate are the two trees in?
pine bark fines 30%, Lava and pumice 70% ( they are pre bonsai if that matters ). Soil seems like a can of worms. If you are bringing the can opener, I am more than happy to take any and all advice :) I'm in zone 10a, 9 months at 2.5 inches of rain a month and 3 months at roughly 8-10 inches of rain each month. I was considering going down to Wigerts ( 2 hours south ) and picking up their bonsai mix, I can get 5 gallons for $35, but shipping cost is insane.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It’s virtually impossible to overwater a tree in bonsai soil. What substrate are the two trees in?
Agree. All the extra rain will be doing is replacing water in your pots with oxygenated water falling from the sky, over and over. If your soil mix doesn't hold too much water to begin with, it won't "overwater" no matter how much rain you get.

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I can get 5 gallons for $35, but shipping cost is insane.
I would consider spending the extra $10 and get the mix that is $45 for 5 gallons. The $35 mix has turface or something similar that breaks down gets fairly solid after a year or so.

And FWIW my trees love the rainy season, they were all looking great before the hurricane beat the crap out of them.

Deci22

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I would consider spending the extra $10 and get the mix that is $45 for 5 gallons. The $35 mix has turface or something similar that breaks down gets fairly solid after a year or so.

And FWIW my trees love the rainy season, they were all looking great before the hurricane beat the crap out of them.
Oh I bet! Ian was a nasty one, I'm zone A in Pinellas so we got plenty of time because the prediction all along was for it to come to us, instead it hooked a right turn right to you guys and our The Tocobaga Indian Blessing seems to still be in tact ( as many near misses we've gotten here in Tampa Bay, I'm starting to believe it.)
I hope you and the trees are recovering, did you get alot of damage?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Trees don't move, so I firmly believe they'll grow the best (healthiest) if they're always kept in the same position.

Besides reading the sun and setting out leaves specifically for that position in summer, spring and fall, going in and out of dormancy is crucial to best health.

Minimize "confusion", Maximize health.

Sorce

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Oh I bet! Ian was a nasty one, I'm zone A in Pinellas so we got plenty of time because the prediction all along was for it to come to us, instead it hooked a right turn right to you guys and our The Tocobaga Indian Blessing seems to still be in tact ( as many near misses we've gotten here in Tampa Bay, I'm starting to believe it.)
I hope you and the trees are recovering, did you get alot of damage?
My roof, lanai, soffits and facia all took plenty of damage. Roof is done, just passed inspection Wednesday. Soffits and facia are next. Very thankful to have been able to stay in my house the entire time
Lost 5-6 trees, admittedly they were already weakened, so no big losses. In hindsight I should’ve put as many as possible in the garage.

Top Bottom