Change Of Angle for Thuja Occidentalis

eeeealmo

Mame
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to get this collected eastern white cedar earlier this year. It was already styled based on a particular planting angle, seen below :
before.jpg

Unfortunately there were a lot of weird structural issues that couldn't really be addressed (not really visible here), so I decided to change the angle and start over :
new_angle.jpg

It was my first time working with a cedar, and they are fantastically flexible. I'm not entire sure how I feel about the right side of the tree. Would love to hear other people's thoughts or opinions. Thanks!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it’s a great little tree for sure. Only critique I’d have is the right upper branch. The angle it comes off of the trunk does not seem to agree with angle the branches on the left come off.

eeeealmo

Mame
Reaction score
I think it’s a great little tree for sure. Only critique I’d have is the right upper branch. The angle it comes off of the trunk does not seem to agree with angle the branches on the left come off.
Are you referring to the primary branch or that first secondary that kind of comes up out of it? Both are a little awkward in my eyes. The primary branch is super thick and tough to bend, and the secondary just happens to grow directly out of the top so changing that angle was tough too

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This one.
EE6AE04B-A0BA-44E9-AE82-2D4DE571C2C0.jpegIt seems to be arguing with the branch directly across from it. I know they are on different trunks, but it gives the feeling of a bar branch. I think one of the things that made the first planting angle work is the fact that those branches aren’t in alignment when on that angle. The tree feels like it wants to move left but that heavy branch I circled is pulling it right.
please know that Criticism is minimal. It really is a great tree.

eeeealmo

Mame
Reaction score
This one.
View attachment 396373It seems to be arguing with the branch directly across from it. I know they are on different trunks, but it gives the feeling of a bar branch. I think one of the things that made the first planting angle work is the fact that those branches aren’t in alignment when on that angle. The tree feels like it wants to move left but that heavy branch I circled is pulling it right.
please know that Criticism is minimal. It really is a great tree.
yea i'm definitely struggling with that one and agree it is out of place. perhaps a guy-wire to pull it down further will help. thanks for the input!

Top Bottom