Change of direction...for wisteria

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@GrimLore ... remember years back...you said you seen one branch removed. Well...today was that day! New shoes too...Sonny Boggs pot.
Its waking up...so repotted and revamped the tree.
20180314_132913.jpg

Used to look like a football goal post...spread so far apart.
FB_IMG_1521049175657.jpg

Then manhandled and used guy wire. Amazing it held when I removed it...but I felt it seemed to contrived.
FB_IMG_1521049188754.jpg

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Well...today was that day! New shoes too...Sonny Boggs pot.
Its waking up...so repotted and revamped the tree.

That is exactly what I meant! Very nice work I might add :) Grim is grinning!

Edit - let it be as is this year - Bonsai = time :)

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That is exactly what I meant! Very nice work I might add :) Grim is grinning!

Edit - let it be as is this year - Bonsai = time :)

Grimmy

GRIM IS GRINNING! ?... I thought of you when I ripped the other branch off. This is exactly what Grimmy suggested years back. "Remove that second branch." You said...Could not recall everything. It looks much better I think. Finally like it was set into the right direction.

I am fine with not doing anything more now. You are right again! Especially since...I am curious what the canopy will look like with what I did remove. I am positive it's going to much more compact. But that's okay...it's still compound leaves will be somewhat full.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I like the version without the top branching much better. Sometimes less is more.

That was my motto as I broke off one large branch and another medium one. Was thinking apex for top branch...but it comes across as a straight line almost in looks. Soooo...I may have to lob it off tomorrow. Done in there today.

Thanks!

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I pruned this back hard...possibly removing blooms to get a better over all direction. Top branch will be removed. ?

There is one at the farm Grandfather cut to the base and soaked the soil in old farm equipment gasoline to kill - it now has a base at least 9 inches wide and is kept to 8 foot tall at my request by the groundskeeper. No fertilizer West sun only.

Another which I will dig sometime grows 40 feet wide and up the trees an additional 30 plus feet every year after getting cut at the base of the trees every year - they BOTH bloom but took a few years to establish.

In pots as we talked about over 4 years ago if you keep it root bound, trimmed properly, watered, and zero nitrogen - BAM a winner :)

Side note - that Boggs looks nice!

Edit - he did that for 14 years...

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
What a poor quality of picture...sorry about that. Looks much more clear on my phone. Anyways...Pot is an 8" round...base of wisteria is 3" wide. For a better visual. Sorry for the poor quality of photo.

Reactions: Vin
Top Bottom