Change of direction...for wisteria

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I like it. (not the photo, but the change) You should set up a nice little photo area.
I need to. Its windy as heck...and I think my phone fogged from being in my back pocket and taken out into the colder air.

Thanks...yes...new direction good...photo op...poor. Maybe something set up in greenhouse...hm-mmm. Food for thought.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I Still say......will be absolutely stunning when it does flower! Something to work towards.
Is it Japanese or Chinese? Or looks like a graft huh.
Do you know the flower color?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Its bloomed before...it's an Asian variety... unsure which. A shade of purple. The graft isn't so bad...there are places on the trunk that makes it have character...that it ties in with those blemishes of bark actually. Making look like its weathered some storms.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This thing is going nuts! Taking the place where the Virgina Creeper used to sit. Full sun...will prune it back in July...

May have to duct tape a stake to the trunk...and tie up all those crazy tendrils running. (Going on some sound direction to allow to run until July.) When I have always pruned to shape as it grew.
20180425_063950.jpg

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This thing is going nuts!

I wanted to dig those monsters at the farm but the groundskeeper really cut them back hard earlier and now they are so big and full I will have to mark them in the Fall for cuts so I can next season - tough plants! Looks good and healthy - the dog looks like it thinks it might be tasty too :p

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I wanted to dig those monsters at the farm but the groundskeeper really cut them back hard earlier and now they are so big and full I will have to mark them in the Fall for cuts so I can next season - tough plants! Looks good and healthy - the dog looks like it thinks it might be tasty too :p

Grimmy
So shaping and cutting back to a collectable size then? I recall seeing photos a while back.

Well LOOKIE there! It's Larry...his fetish is the weeping Ryusen leaves.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So shaping and cutting back to a collectable size then? I recall seeing photos a while back.

Well LOOKIE there! It's Larry...his fetish is the weeping Ryusen leaves.

Yes those Wisteria are monsters and so big already this season I would have a very difficult time finding the base on them. It does not help they are growing alongside the overflow drainage for the pond. It is Spring fed but the soil there requires barn boots and is easy to get stuck in :p

Larry - He was just interested in the photo bomb, and did great! :)

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes those Wisteria are monsters and so big already this season I would have a very difficult time finding the base on them. It does not help they are growing alongside the overflow drainage for the pond. It is Spring fed but the soil there requires barn boots and is easy to get stuck in :p

Larry - He was just interested in the photo bomb, and did great! :)

Grimmy
I personally can't wait to see this bad boy collected. ?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Upon advice given to me by one many respect...I waited until July to prune the wisteria. In doing so...understand why many say they hide these trees behind their good one's.
Today....I forced myself to tackle this project.
There is a tree in that jungle.
20180714_125612.jpg

There it is...more compact than previous years. In its commissioned Sonny Boggs pot.
20180714_133402.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Jonas had an email that went out on pruning wisteria...we've got storms coming through all week. I'm keeping a close eye as to if any will be strong enough that I need to put them into storage. As of now...I'm good. But, this thing I left out in the last storm...until we got a severe alert of 2" hail and damaging winds across Ohio. What a ridiculous trek getting it into the greenhouse. So, taking his lead...pruned back. Removed one branch that crossed and always bugged me...for the most part you really had to be looking at one small window where it didn't cross. So ripped it off today as well. lol

This location...is great for just permitting it to grow wild...and not be in the way.
104145457_3282011565153156_2758990322940645100_o.jpg104956331_3282009221820057_5469746738132790144_o.jpg
104684208_3282010661819913_2408701150125050212_o (2).jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So my husband had kicked around, possibly getting himself a tree to work for bonsai. He gave that up rather quickly...with as much care as they need. As well as his issue with pruning. He's come along way...honest. But today, he asked what I've done...and I sent him pictures...and he states YOU KILLED IT :eek:

I'm thinking...he's not ready for his own tree...just yet. lol

Top Bottom