Changing Wire

JLee9706

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello.
I recently went to a class and started up in two bonsai.
I was wondering if anyone had tips on when to rewire. What should I be looking out for? I don’t plan on repotting these until about January. Will be picking up more from the nursery this weekend for more practice.
Thanks.

Attachments

• 2A173F94-5087-4EEF-96F1-0B6101476006.jpeg
    2A173F94-5087-4EEF-96F1-0B6101476006.jpeg
    58.6 KB · Views: 38
  • B86B35C2-6A4D-42D5-B8B0-91675AEB0BD9.jpeg
    B86B35C2-6A4D-42D5-B8B0-91675AEB0BD9.jpeg
    68.9 KB · Views: 38

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Rewire when you need to.

Most times the branches should be set in place by the time you take the wire off so you won't need to put more back in the same places. Some species take longer and it is common to rewire those but most will be OK. If the branches move back to the original position after the wire comes off it needs rewiring. If they stay put all good. usually rewiring will be to wire new parts of the tree or bits you missed first up.
Next question is usually how long does the wire stay on? Most branches actually set way quicker than we anticipate. Young, fresh shoots will set in a couple of weeks but older wood takes a few months, sometimes more. Usually leave the wire on until you can see the branch has just started to push against the wires in a couple of spots. Takes some practice to spot but you will get your eye in. It is important to keep checking - wire marks look terrible and often last for years. Wire will be on the tree for a couple of months for fast growing species and up to a year for slower ones.

Remember that wire is not a must for bonsai. Only need wire if you need to adjust the shape of the branches or trunk.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

What in the hell are you doing to that bucket!?

Sorce

JLee9706

Seedling
Reaction score
Rewire when you need to.

Most times the branches should be set in place by the time you take the wire off so you won't need to put more back in the same places. Some species take longer and it is common to rewire those but most will be OK. If the branches move back to the original position after the wire comes off it needs rewiring. If they stay put all good. usually rewiring will be to wire new parts of the tree or bits you missed first up.
Next question is usually how long does the wire stay on? Most branches actually set way quicker than we anticipate. Young, fresh shoots will set in a couple of weeks but older wood takes a few months, sometimes more. Usually leave the wire on until you can see the branch has just started to push against the wires in a couple of spots. Takes some practice to spot but you will get your eye in. It is important to keep checking - wire marks look terrible and often last for years. Wire will be on the tree for a couple of months for fast growing species and up to a year for slower ones.

Remember that wire is not a must for bonsai. Only need wire if you need to adjust the shape of the branches or trunk.
Thanks! That helps a lot!

JLee9706

Seedling
Reaction score
Welcome to Crazy!

What in the hell are you doing to that bucket!?

Sorce
Haha. They were right out of the nursery. They bonsai instructor said I could re-pot now if I want, but should probably wait until the trees are dormant. January through March. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If the wire looks like it’s flat on the bottom where it touches the branch, it’s cutting in. Time to remove.

There is no set time. Old mature trees that are highly ramified grow slowly, and wire can stay in place for a long time before it needs to be removed. Several years sometimes. Young trees with few branches but are Growing rapidly might need to have the wire removed in a matter of weeks. It depends.

Almost all bonsai are wired at some time. Some species require some parts to be wired almost all the time.

The use of wire to train branches is unique to bonsai. Bonsai uses both wire and “clip and grow” as methods to style trees. Not using wire limits what can be done.

Top Bottom