Charcoal and Rusty Nails

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Can someone please delve a little deeper as to why large chunks of charcoal and rusty nails are placed on the soil of pines. Whatever benefit this does have, will this work for maples or junipers?

Picture is courtesy of Bill Valavanis' Blog. (Thanks Bill)

6p4a7087.jpg

Reaction score
Curious, why you didn't ask Bill? He is quite approachable with any question, regarding what he is doing.
Charcoal does two things, helps to remove unwanted impurities within the soil, as well as adds carbon to the soil.
The Nails, help to add iron.
Just don't use the one's that are coated and not suppose to rust, they don't do the trick!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah, not sure why it never occurred to me to reach out to Bill. I think part of it is that I tend to scroll over the comment area without noticing there is a comment area.

I figured that much with the charcoal, but I was always under the impression to add a small amount to the soil. Maybe it's because whatever charcoal existed in the pot had been basically washed out and used. I think Bill mentioned something referring to this in the blog.

CamdenJim

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Can someone please delve a little deeper as to why large chunks of charcoal and rusty nails are placed on the soil of pines. Whatever benefit this does have, will this work for maples or junipers?
When I was a child (think 1950s) my grandmother always tossed rusty pieces of iron (nails for the most part) around her camellias. She always did that to those planted closest to the house.
Years later I learned that increased soil acidity, counteracting the reduction in acidity caused by leaching from the concrete in the foundation of the house. Now I just use Ironite. ;)
For some reason that crazy habit of hers has stayed with me, and I often wonder what other little tricks she had that I don't remember.
JC

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When I was a child (think 1950s) my grandmother . . . I often wonder what other little tricks she had that I don't remember.
JC
Scattering sulfur to prevent snakes;
spoiled milk over stumps to speed decomp;
peppermint around the property to prevent rodents from entering the property;
wood ash tea around flowering trees on Christmas day;
never gathering more pine neddles than you can tote from one spot and moving between loads;
and a million other little ridiculousness-es that were neither ridiculous nor remembered lately.
Sad that so much of our Earth/life knowledge has been sacrificed on the altar of instant/now.
But truly sad is that, with our passing, there won't even be anyone that remembers there used to be an answer.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Just about all gravity fed water purifiers run the water over and through charcoal to remove the impurities.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you are talking about the picture you posted, that's wire holding in the tree and directing roots.

ed

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Good eye Ed! Nothing gets past you.
Here's another picture from the same blog post with rusty nails.
144.jpg

Top Bottom