Reaction score
USDA Zone
What is its ratio in your soil mix?
Thanks. Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, it's very suprising that nobody here is using charcoal in soil mix. I'm guessing that I'll go on my own. :)
Bonhe

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Bonhe,

Boon did a repotting workshop with my club, and I believe he recommended throwing in a handful of horticultural charcoal into your mix. When I repotted my trees this spring, I just threw in a little into my mix for my trees.

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I too did the Boon repotting workshop at Rich Bozeks last year, if I remember correctly he said a handful per 5 gallon bucket of soil mix.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Mcpesq817 and Ianb, thanks for your information. Bonhe

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
When Marco was here working on my trees in April, all I had was grilling charcoal, he took 4 or 5 brickets and busted them up with a hammer and put them in the pot first before the potting soil, nothing scientific at all....

keep it green,
Harry

meushi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It depends of the species, for pines I put up to a fifth of the mix as charcoal and they seem to love it. One of the reasons for adding charcoal is mycorrhization, as demonstrated by Japanese experimental data on black pines and fruiting trees.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When Marco was here working on my trees in April, all I had was grilling charcoal, he took 4 or 5 brickets and busted them up with a hammer and put them in the pot first before the potting soil, nothing scientific at all....

keep it green,
Harry
Hi Harry, it's a good idea to fill a large pot with large size charcoal in the bottom to reduce the pot weight, to save soil and to improve drainage. Moving a large bonsai is a hard job :)

It depends of the species, for pines I put up to a fifth of the mix as charcoal and they seem to love it. One of the reasons for adding charcoal is mycorrhization, as demonstrated by Japanese experimental data on black pines and fruiting trees.
Hi Meushi, it also has antioxidant feature which prevents the root rot.
I found so many good features of hardwood charcoal. I'll definitely use it next year.
Thanks for all information. Bonhe

head_cutter

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hey bonhe, using a little charcoal is always a good thing for general health. Something else I've always used (in the US) was some kennel bedding or cedar chips, a small amount maybe 5%. I've never had any adverse problems with any tree but...seems that most soil-born pests are either killed by it or repelled by the oil. I'm not a 'tree-hugger' by any means but anytime I could cut down on pest control work I did.

Bob

Mortalis

Yamadori
Reaction score

How does the charcoal actually help this.. does the beneficial fungi like it? I have never actually included charcoal in any of my mixes before. Never crossed my mind to try it.

meushi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't understand the fine details, just that the application of charcoal stimulates indigenous arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi in the soil. The details are explained in Ogawa 1983 and Nishio and Okano 1991.

Top Bottom