Chasing foliage back on junipers example

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
After our discussion about chasing foliage back on juniper bonsai, I thought I would share this one example.

In my front yard I have some garden junipers that have been there over 20 years. I was thinking about removing them, and was wondering if there was any bonsai potential in the stumps. The bushes were overgrown (styled as a hedge), with 2 - 3' branches that concealed a darkened, and completely foliage-free, interior.

Two years ago I pruned one of the bushes back all the way to the trunk on one side, leaving about 2/3rds of the foliage on the top and the far side. I specifically left stubs from most of the branches I trimmed, in the hope that I might get some foliage to pop. I was surprised by two things:

(1) I did get foliage to pop low on the trunk; in fact much lower than I expected and
(2) Some of the twiggy branches that I trimmed back to 50% of their length popped new growth, even though there was no longer foliage on the branch.

I am sharing this example just to show that it IS possible to get low growth on an old trunk, or growth on a branch with no foliage (as long as the sap hasn't withdrawn and the branch died). However I also wanted to point out this is a very strong juniper, the roots were not touched, I left 2/3rds of the foliage alone, and the side that popped growth got very strong morning sun.

This is almost two years to the day after I pruned.

junif1.jpg
junif2.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Pretty cool, BN. I don't see that happen very often.

Scott

I don't see it often, either. In fact, if someone would have asked me ahead of time, I would have said MAYBE you might get some growth at the base of some of the young branches, but never at the base of the trunk.

Arnold_K

Shohin
Reaction score
That is very interesting Bonsai Nut! Amazing ...
I wonder wether the same would have happened, if that tree had been in a pot.
Pot-culture und soil-culture is a complete different business.
Anyway - a new glimpse on backbudding on "old truncs" according to junipers.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Question now is....

How long does it have to grow to sustain it after digging?

Too bad we only get one shot at that experiment!

I appreciate this cuz I talked about it being possible. May have been that thread....
Something like, "any tree will throw buds if it wants to live".

But then we have another maybe year per each other trunk chop, then a good burglary, I mean, 3-5 before you can dig it? With some root prep too?

Just so folks don't go a digging up all their yard bushes next year!

But with the right long term game plan...
Anything is possible.

Imagine if you would have watered it?

Good Stuff!

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@Bonsai Nut sorry/not sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I was wondering if there were any updates on this - did you continue the long process of hedge to bonsai?

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
No, actually. That juniper is still there at our old house :)
...and this was an October hard cut back, in California maybe?
I have 2 that I need to dig out. A blue pfitzer and a Sargents, both with great trunks.

Have always had good results with hard cut backs in mid Summer with juniper in pots,
but the 2 that I have in ground I have begun cutting back this year hoping for a good dig eventually.

Top Bottom