Chasing foliage back to the trunk

Robertji

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
When is it appropriate to shorten branches in an effort to get foliage closer to the trunk?I have read lots about the juniper dependance on foliage for health and that a bare branch will not push new growth, but if I cut back the branch in the picture to the first flush of foliage will it force the tree to redirect the energy to developing new buds closer in?

Thanks, Jim.IMG_0133.JPG

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
When is it appropriate to shorten branches in an effort to get foliage closer to the trunk?I have read lots about the juniper dependance on foliage for health and that a bare branch will not push new growth, but if I cut back the branch in the picture to the first flush of foliage will it force the tree to redirect the energy to developing new buds closer in?

Thanks, Jim.View attachment 109833
It definitely will cause it to back bud, more then likely all the way to the crotch of that branch to the trunk. I've done this kind of thing in summer with no issues, my main concern with pruning is how much growing season there is left.

Aaron

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Think about removing one of those secondary branches with foliage, say, next spring and/or late this next winter and grafting it where you want to have foliage. When this scion has fused and is growing strongly, you can reduce the branch to the length you want, if any, beyond this point. Of course, it will subsequently grow most strongly if there is no other foliage beyond it.

Like Aaron said
It definitely will cause it to back bud, more than likely all the way to the crotch of that branch to the trunk.
Grafting is a non-trivial exercise, but the sooner you try the sooner you may succeed. It is a useful/valuable skill.

Reaction score
With Junipers, I tend to not try and chase back growth that much...

Unless it is just some phenomenal piece of stock that is worth spending decades to do so, or worth instead grafting... it is always better when ever possible to design within what is already present, and grow out instead. Will save you years of just doing Gardner work.

Bomb out of thoses really big branches with the first chance you get in favor of the smaller stuff then let grow. You will be thankful you did. I have quite literally grown a very small tuff of foliage to that of a quarter of an inch or more in a growing season. While chasing back I got if lucky an inch further back... and that's really pushing the tree.

This is working with the tree rather than against...

Robertji

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thanks Aaron, Osoyoung and Sawgrass. This juniper has a great trunk but it was a landscape tree and the foliage is far away. I think all of the suggestions will be used on this one...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just remember that Ontario and Florida are a little bit different climate wise.

Sorce

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is what I was thinking when I read
I have quite literally grown a very small tuff of foliage to that of a quarter of an inch or more in a growing season.
My growing season is shorter than Ontario (We are maybe a thousand miles further north). But I cannot get to a quarter inch branch in one season on chinensis. I am at maybe half an inch in 4 years on cuttins. Once past the first half an inch, it goes a lot faster. But the initial development to go from small tuft to a real branch takes ages.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When is it appropriate to shorten branches in an effort to get foliage closer to the trunk?
Backbudding happens on trees that are very strong AND have sun in the inner areas. So.. Having foliage quite fare from the trunk is actually good to get backbudding...

I would keep thinning the foliage at the ends so sunlight enters, but only when pushing runners, allowing those to grow out in between, and only trim them when you get a fair number of branches further in.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Timing: best to do it early spring through early summer.
Yes, it will reliably bud back closer to the trunk, but usually at the "crotches", where the branch meets the trunk. If you have a long growing season, this is a good way to rebuild and tighten up juniper branches.
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Reaction score

Sorce
I would hope to think that the OP is smart enough to know on their own that the climate in Ontario is different than Florida... But, if not, it is always comforting to know someone is there with knowledgeable facts?

Last edited:

Robertji

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Boy, a longer growing season would be nice. I'm gonna get this one nice and healthy this year, maybe fertilize the crap out of it and see what Ontario sun can do. Scion grafting and approach grafting are in the cards once I have a good healthy trunk and a design in mind...thanks for all the replies, Jim

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Ive had good success with juniper by planting in the ground, but don't know if its possible in your climate. Real good success.

Robertji

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thanks Augustine, I have found that if I put it in a pot or colander I pay better attention to the tree. This one was in the ground but suffering from a bit of neglect so now I fuss over it a bit more

Top Bottom