Cheap, Easy Bonsai Benches!!!

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
I have made four of these benches, and they are incredibly easy and cheap to build! They are also strong, and last for years.

Attachments

• DSCF2007.jpg
    DSCF2007.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 765

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Materials

Materials (for two-tier bench); Fourteen 2"x4"x8', Three 4"x4"x8', cement tile for each leg, lots of 3" deck screws

Tools; Power Drill, Skill saw.

Attachments

• DSCF2003.jpg
    DSCF2003.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 441

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Step One; Get everything at a Home Depot, or lesser evil home improvement store or local lumber yard. Load into poor, unsuspecting vehicle...

Attachments

• DSCF2002.jpg
    DSCF2002.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 349

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Step Two; Cut legs to length. For my small two tier bench, the lengths will be 2' and 3'.

Step Three; Cut one foot lengths of 2x4, then rip in half lengthwise. These will be support for the legs, and make your bench tops about 16" wide at the end.

Step Four; Lay out 4 2x4s flat, with one 2x4 on each end vertical (see picture). Place the 12" 2x4 pieces about 12" in from the ends and screw everything together.

Step Five; Place the legs (see picture) and the last of the 12" 2x4 pieces, and screw together.

**Repeat for bench #2 with 3' legs.

Step Six; Place bench and lift each end to slide the cement tiles under each of the legs (to prevent rot). Screw one last 2x4 in between the two benches on the top bench's legs, then secure the two benches together for stability.

Attachments

• DSCF2005.jpg
    DSCF2005.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 376
  • DSCF2004.jpg
    DSCF2004.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 410
Last edited:

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
In the end, this should cost you around $100, and take a couple hours to complete. This is a great project for this time of year when we have little to do with our trees, but will be beneficial in the end. Have fun!!!

Attachments

• DSCF2008.jpg
    DSCF2008.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 461

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You go girl!!!
Nice bench, thanks for showing how-to-do!

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Nice job. I would have made the table a bit higher. You will find yourself standing beside them and doing occasional trimming, etc. and the 3-foot height will be hell on your back (experience speaking!). And, I would have used treated lumber, then coated it with a heavy dose of Thompson's Water Seal for decks.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Good stuff...I remember packing out our jeep that way too!
wouldnt you want to use treated wood?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I bet the legs are pressure treated...
FWIW, I've got a bench out in the yard, here in humid GA, that has 2" by 8" spruce planks as the top (I purchased them years ago in MA for some home improvement project that never happened:)). Three and 1/2 years later, they are a weathered grey but show no signs of rotting.

Nice benches, Brian.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
I build a similar but different benchs.
I use all treated or cedar materials, 2x6s for the main frame, 4x4s for the legs and 5/4 x 6" decking for the top boards for a 8' x 2'10'' bench I start by building a 7'6'' x 2'7'' frame. I cut two 2x6s 7'-6'' and seven 2x6s 2'4'' long. I then mark out the long boards into four even spaces. I then apply with 3" screws five of the short 2x6s, one on each end and then at the layouts.( you build this like a framed wall) You will have two extra blocks for the next step. Now cut the 4''x4'' legs, either straight or slightly canted, and apply a pair to the 2x6 cross block one in from the end. align carefully and screw well. now add the other block sandwiching it in--add more screws. Flip the legged bench frame up and then add the 5/4 x 6" x 8' decking boards with 2-1/2" decking screws, overhanging all edges evenly. This design is very strong and the legs resist racking.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
And, I would have used treated lumber, then coated it with a heavy dose of Thompson's Water Seal for decks.

Agreed. Especially considering the moisture we get here during winters on the northcoast! Untreated woods like Doug Fir will rot quickly when exposed to the elements. It looks like you don't have the legs sunk in the ground or in concrete, but still...

Nice design. I need to construct a new bench or two. Thanks for the post, Brian.:)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice!

I am lazy, I just buy the metal wire shelvings at Walmart or Costco. $35 gives me 12 LF of space. Not bad IMHO. My set-up is as shown here.

Works well too thought it doesn't look as "pleasing". ;)

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
The heights are all varied on the benches and range from 2.5'-4'. The taller trees or harder to move stuff is on the lower bench, so everything is still easy to reach. Plus, I'm still quite young so it really doesn't matter yet physically ;)

I used absolutely no treated wood nor did I treat it with anything. This may prove to be a terrible idea, but the main purpose was to get an old weathered look. The tall bench on the right has lasted 7 years with no rot, so it was a decent investment so far...

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I built some basically the same way. image.jpgimage.jpg but put the top slats the other direction and stained it with left over fence stain. The stain still looks the same after a whole season of watering. I used 4x4s for the legs. They gave it a strong appearance.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I go simple too, 4x4 or 6x6 posts, and 2x2 slats on top of 2x4s; monkey poles and benches, all treated. Mine are taller, 3' to 4.5' high, which makes them easier to see and work on, and in the winter, trees go under the taller benches to be protected from what little wind we get.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 442
Last edited:

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Very nice! I like the monkey poles, but have no room for them in my current living situation. The short slats look nicer for sure, jkd, I just wanted to put something out there that is super cheap and looks decent. Good thread...

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As another option to consider, I bought custom made plastic benches from Benchmaster which are lightweight yet strong, relatively inexpensive, low maintenance and very durable. I've had mine for four years now and they still look brand new.

http://structuralplastics.com/cart/

That being said, I do prefer the look of wooden benches/monkey poles - Brian Van Fleet's setup is pretty sweet.

CamdenJim

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Pressure treated wood

Recently pressure treated wood will warp as it matures. Warps even more with seasonal variations in temperature/humidity.

At least, that's been our experience with a screened in porch, several benches, and a some other projects that now look somewhat skewed.

But might look OK by March and totally different in July.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
I love seeing peoples gardens and benches. Must be the woodworker in me ;)

Nice benches Brian U.! Great thread!

I'll say again, Brian VF, that is one of the cleanest and well put together bonsai display I've seen for a 'home hobbyist'. I LOVE the monkey poles especially! Makes me want to rethink having dogs! lol

Top Bottom