Cheap ficus material

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
benjamina are lame. Now if you grafted a smalle leaf variety or a green isle fig it could be nice.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know much about ficus. I just saw nice proportions in my mind when I cut half half the top off and cut the pot to 1/3 it's size. Check it out it almost has a line in the pic where the top should be cut off.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I see the line you're referencing, but unfortunately a chop that low on a benjamina could be fatal, they're so unpredictable.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You guys are aware this is a braided ficus that fused right?

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No I did not. The trunk looks smooth to me. How can you tell? Like I said I don't much about ficus.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I see the line you're referencing, but unfortunately a chop that low on a benjamina could be fatal, they're so unpredictable.

I was talking about just cutting off half of the top foliage to get to the right proportion then Dario went and spoiled my fun.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I was talking about just cutting off half of the top foliage to get to the right proportion then Dario went and spoiled my fun.

It doesn't really matter that it's fused. It's fused enough that you can't really tell all that much. It'd be perfect if it weren't a benjamina.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ryan
What kind of ficus are the ones you work with?

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Weren't you looking to buy a benjamina it that other thread? Is there leaf size to big or something?

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Weren't you looking to buy a benjamina it that other thread? Is there leaf size to big or something?

Nah, I changed my mind. Their leaves aren't too much of a problem, it's their finicky nature and reluctance to backbud that really makes them a nuisance.

Top Bottom