Cheap grow box that won’t fall apart

Tulsabonsigh

Shohin
Reaction score
I also keep bees. These finger joints make these dang near forever boxes.
good price today onlyB4B8A970-DA05-4127-942B-C3984CF30B2E.png

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice, when I was researching the chickens I found out we can't keep bees here. Might have to fight that, my guy is going to hook me up with a setup when I CAN keep em!

Sorce

Tulsabonsigh

Shohin
Reaction score
Bee hives tend to get painted, right? And their insides aren’t water logged, right?

I can’t imagine these holding up without being screwed together. I’m also skeptical of the wood’s resistance to rot.

typically one screws together every finger but yeah inside being wet would eventually cause rot.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I also keep bees. Have done for nearly 40 years and my father before me.

Hive bodies are typically made from pine for light weight. Inside the beehive is constant warmth and high humidity. The wood tends to rot away at the corners in a few years unless it is treated with anti rot and well painted. I could not see any beehive lasting more than a couple of years as a grow box.

Nice, when I was researching the chickens I found out we can't keep bees here. Might have to fight that, my guy is going to hook me up with a setup when I CAN keep em!
Hobby bee keeping is becoming very popular. Most areas allow residents to have a couple of hives. I see many bee hives in so many cities now - on top of buildings and in many odd places. I know some local authorities used to forbid bees but I am surprised to see any still do. With so much current interest and sentiments moving toward bees I think it would be relatively easy to get a change to that regulation. Go for it if you have the time and energy.

Top Bottom