Cheap premixed bonsai soil

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
One of the most important component in bonsai is soil. There are so many posts and arguments related to this topic. Here is my contribution to newbies on cheap premixed that I found.
If you know of others please post them here.
I just bought another 28 gallons of Bonsai Jack universal organic bonsai soil for 200. That makes the per gallon to be 7 bucks. It is organic because it has 20% pine bark in it.
I have no affiliate with them... just want to help out anyone that have no time to sift and source soil components to mix their own.
I should have the 10% discount code if you needed.
www.bonsaijack.com
Cheers

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220116-082707_Outlook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220116-082707_Outlook.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 252
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
One of the most important component in bonsai is soil. There are so many posts and arguments related to this topic. Here is my contribution to newbies on cheap premixed that I found.
If you know of others please post them here.
I just bought another 28 gallons of Bonsai Jack universal organic bonsai soil for 200. That makes the per gallon to be 7 bucks. It is organic because it has 20% pine bark in it.
I have no affiliate with them... just want to help out anyone that have no time to sift and source soil components to mix their own.
I should have the 10% discount code if you needed.
Thanks for the tip! I was looking for this kind of info. I've been getting my premix from a company for around $12 per gallon. That might have been okay but the particle size of the pumice stock is stupidly huge. Most of the pumice is 3/8" which drives me nuts. It floats out of the pot and ends up on the bench and makes me wave my fists and yell at the sky. I believe Jacks is more uniform -- and apparently less expensive. Would very much appreciate that 10% discount code!

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
No doubt it is a great product. If a person has a few, smaller sized trees I think that it's a wise solution. My problem is I have several trees that would take about $40.00 worth of soil each. I just can't wrap my mind around that. Too old and too conservative, I guess.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
No doubt it is a great product. If a person has a few, smaller sized trees I think that it's a wise solution. My problem is I have several trees that would take about $40.00 worth of soil each. I just can't wrap my mind around that. Too old and too conservative, I guess.
You certainly do have a point. My bonsai garden consists of eight trees, the largest of which are in three gallon pots.

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
The way I see it is that’s $40 for 2-3 years and the trees are probably many years old. So the values of the trees vs. $15-$20 a year of cost in soil is really nothing.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The way I see it is that’s $40 for 2-3 years and the trees are probably many years old. So the values of the trees vs. $15-$20 a year of cost in soil is really nothing.
Not much if you have just a few trees. I have about 70 trees total. Most of them use between 1 and 2 gallons of soil........some MUCH more. I just can't see spending $1000 a year on soil. Yeah, fewer better trees would help, but that's not what I'm interested in.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I use that soil and I like it a lot. Maybe I'm just lazy and don't want to buy and mix all of the separate ingredients, but it works well for me.
I use this religiously as well.

American Bonsai is comparable in price, but Bonsai Jack has higher moisture retention, which could be good or bad depending on your climate.

I might change back now that I'm in Virginia rather than California where it never rains.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
making own soil mixes at a quarter or likely much less of that price… how long does it take to sift a gallon of soil? I’m not exactly sure, though it seems like a moment or two and I am presently comfortable not wanting to pay $150+ for someone to do it for me for ~30+ gallons comparatively.

in addition, by having separate ingredients of a mix this allows the ability to pot trees individually to their species requirements, pot size and type, rate and stage of development, and degree of work done.

I often do not have the option of watering my trees more than once a day and their needs are not uniform so I have to find the time to make soil ingredients. have no issue with Jack’s soil (I need to try it), or other peoples approach. Seems more and more that rainfall and tailored watering regime are often more important than soil mix anyway..

@namnhi, apologies for getting off topic from your initial assertions here, thank you

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
making own soil mixes at a quarter or likely much less of that price… how long does it take to sift a gallon of soil? I’m not exactly sure, though it seems like a moment or two and I am presently comfortable not wanting to pay $150+ for someone to do it for me for ~30+ gallons comparatively.

in addition, by having separate ingredients of a mix this allows the ability to pot trees individually to their species requirements, pot size and type, rate and stage of development, and degree of work done.

I often do not have the option of watering my trees more than once a day and their needs are not uniform so I have to find the time to make soil ingredients. have no issue with Jack’s soil (I need to try it), or other peoples approach. Seems more and more that rainfall and tailored watering regime are often more important than soil mix anyway..

@namnhi, apologies for getting off topic from your initial assertions here, thank you
Sourcing, hauling, sifting, and mixing take lots of time and sometimes backbreaking effort. And it's worse the more you need.

Obviously the dollar amount is less doing it yourself, but I think clicking the mouse button is cheaper in many respects. 😄

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sourcing, hauling, sifting, and mixing take lots of time and sometimes backbreaking effort. And it's worse the more you need.

Obviously the dollar amount is less doing it yourself, but I think clicking the mouse button is cheaper in many respects. 😄
man I totally get it, and increasing so as time goes on

also, don’t forget good old dusty lung! nothing like a good ol’ bump of glass

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Ive been buying this soil for a couple years now, its great quality and well sifted. I placed a large order around the start of covid and glad I did as prices went up.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not much if you have just a few trees. I have about 70 trees total. Most of them use between 1 and 2 gallons of soil........some MUCH more. I just can't see spending $1000 a year on soil. Yeah, fewer better trees would help, but that's not what I'm interested in.
Sorry if I missed it but what do you do instead? Do you mix your own? Recycle?

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Sorry if I missed it but what do you do instead? Do you mix your own? Recycle?
Mostly 50/50 Napa 8822 / pine bark. This year I mixed up 50% pine bark, 25% Napa and 25% Safe T Sorb. I like the color of the Safe T Sorb and it seems to do about the same as the Napa.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Mostly 50/50 Napa 8822 / pine bark. This year I mixed up 50% pine bark, 25% Napa and 25% Safe T Sorb. I like the color of the Safe T Sorb and it seems to do about the same as the Napa.
Thanks, Joe. How precise do you go with your pine bark? When I've considered that option, I pictured "orchid bark" with very uniform particle size and no splinters or fine dirt, which is crazy expensive anywhere I've seen it. Is that available in bulk or is there another way of getting a decent particle size somewhere between "nugget" and "dust"?

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks, Joe. How precise do you go with your pine bark? When I've considered that option, I pictured "orchid bark" with very uniform particle size and no splinters or fine dirt, which is crazy expensive anywhere I've seen it. Is that available in bulk or is there another way of getting a decent particle size somewhere between "nugget" and "dust"?
Re: how precise? Like my brother-in-law was fond of saying "We ain't buildin' no watches here." Ha! I usually dry out the Hapi Gro 100% organic compost from Lowes and sift out the fines and the really big pieces, leaving pieces a bit less than 1/4". Getting the fine dust out is important. You can skip a step by raking off the really big pieces while you're sifting out the fines. I find the trees don't mind a bit of particle size difference. Just try to get close without being anal about it. Now, if your trees go into the 4 and 5 figure price range, then go as precise as you feel necessary.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That's awesome and exactly what I had considered doing but wasn't sure if it would work. Lowes is my go-to store, as well. I may give it a shot next time around. Thank you!

Top Bottom