Cheap wire? I wish!

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
So I find a great price on wire, but the dirty buggers want to ship priority international. Shipping is more than the wire, then factor exchange rate... Sucks
So what did you do?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anneal your own Pierre. I get electrical scraps from a friend and cook it myself.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sigh, once again, A jeweller can draw any copper wire for you to all the sizes needed in Bonsai.
Good Day
Anthony

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sigh, once again, A jeweller can draw any copper wire for you to all the sizes needed in Bonsai.
Good Day
Anthony

Why pay a jeweler when you can do it yourself much cheaper?
Will jewelers anneal it?

Robert E Holt

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Free yourself from the shackles of the wire industry ;):
http://www.amazon.ca/82-Hole-Large-...UTF8&qid=1443013857&sr=8-1&keywords=drawplate

I've cancelled orders for a few things because of absurd shipping rates.
Thanks, I hadn't thought of that. I just bought one of these. I have a lot of 12 gauge and 14 gauge wire that I have annealed myself, but not much smaller stuff. Now I can make whatever size I need.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I had never even heard of those things!
Isn't it easier to buy the other size once you have to buy more? (it might work for what you have but it seems like a time consuming activity).

Robert E Holt

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have 1000 ft of 12 gauge and large amounts of 10 and 14 gauge as well. I don't think I will be buying any more.

Robert E Holt

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Actually, when you consider it is standard roamex electrical wire, with three strands, I have 3000 ft of wire:)

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
As a thought! Buy wholesale from one of our better US suppliers and then you become Canada's choice retail supplier of wire. Oh and your salary would be taken in wire. Yup problem solved for you and Canada.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Did you try Jim Gremel or Julian Adams?

Both are pretty reasonable and could probably ship via UPS or FedEx to Canada.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Once the insulation is fully burned off it is ready. I do it over a wood fire. The temp. would be hot?

PierreR

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2a
@M. Frary Mike, I make knives so annealing isnt an issue. Finding scrap copper here is. There is so much copper theft here, oil leases being stripped in the middle of the night, whole spools of wire being stolen, and i'm talking those big 4, and 6 foot industrial rolls. Any trim from industrial or residential wiring jobs, is collected and binned at the end of day. Most I have been able to get my hands on, is the typical 3 strand, residential stuff. No other gauges.

@Paradox Where/how would I contact them?

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Paradox Where/how would I contact them?

http://www.adamsbonsai.com

I've bought from Julian Adams several times, good wire and Julian is a great guy. I've not tried gremels wire becaus he's farther from me and shipping will cost more, but from all I've heard you cannot go wrong with his wire either.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I bought from Julian Adams and was able to pick up my order from one of the shows he and I were attending. Saved on shipping that way.

His wire is excellent and Julian is a great guy. I once talked with him via email about what I wanted to order and he said "if you order it this way, it will save you money".

Top Bottom