Cheapest home mixed bonsai soil from box stores

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I'm on a very limited budget and want to do a large number of bonsai for practice. What is the cheapest way to make workable bonsai soil from things I can readily buy from the local hardware and big box stores?
BTW I'm not looking for that "nirvana" soil mix. I just want a practical, easy to mix, and workable bonsai soil that won't dent my wallet too much.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Find a NAPA or similar store and get this!

View attachment 208695

NAPA part #8822

Here in OKC it's like $10.03 a bag... also my Napa has a 2nd Saturday special on the 2nd Saturday of each month its 20% off... 30% off you go before 9am!
I've read about using that and cat litter as well. Do I just use that alone or do I mix it with something else?

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm on a very limited budget and want to do a large number of bonsai for practice. What is the cheapest way to make workable bonsai soil from things I can readily buy from the local hardware and big box stores?

Also largely depends on where you live. NAPA DE (shown above) is available across the US, as is Turface calcined clay. A lot of the Western US can get bulk or cubic foot bags of pumice or scoria for cheap. I can also get cheap cubic foot bags of fine orchid bark. Much of the Midwest US can get cheap bulk or bagged haydite.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
I use it alone, but I'm cheap and kinda basic with the hobby at this point. Just be sure to sift it very well.

I do it outside with a fan blowing it away from me lol

I believe this is the most absorb ant "soil" you can get. I'm not sure why others mix things with it unless they don't want it to retain so much. :confused: some of the more experienced users will have to add why they mix things into it

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5 mm silica based gravel - we use to make concrete or sand blasting
Sifted home-made compost.
Not sure if cheaper than that is possible.
7 parts 5 mm gravel 3 parts compost to 9 parts 5 mm gravel to 1 part compost.
Good Day
Anthony

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
5 mm silica based gravel - we use to make concrete or sand blasting
Sifted home-made compost.
Not sure if cheaper than that is possible.
7 parts 5 mm gravel 3 parts compost to 9 parts 5 mm gravel to 1 part compost.
Good Day
Anthony
Thank you.

theone420

Shohin
Reaction score
pumice can often be found in feed stores in 40-50lb bags for less than $20. it is used in horse stalls to reduce ammonia smell and keep the ground drier. I use Drystall
also find lava rock. look for small 1/4 lava rock if you get it from a big box store you will need to crush it with a hammer or larger rock to get the size you want(breaking rock is not fun)
i am in Southern California so i have a good cheap supplier of akadama too but you could use the Napa DE
or purchase lice larger DE from @milehigh_7 if he still has any

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I use the 8822 mixed with a little chicken grit (the granite, not shells) and it has worked fine for me this year in the humid TN summer. I mix at around 2 to 1 8822 to grit.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you get an inorganic make sure the roots cannot
crush it.

Bare rooting sets a tree back x years.

You want to repot when needed, but not bare root.
Good Day
Anthony

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Time for an update!

An incomplete* list of (mostly) American sources** for Bonsai Suitable clay and diatomaceous earth products
*slightly more accurate than the previous one.
**that I am aware of as someone who shops in Minnesota and on the Internet.

Calcined montmorillonite/bentonite clay
  • Manufacturer: Profile
    • Turface, Turface MVP
      • Sold as soil amendments for ball parks, golf courses, etc. Not super easy to find retail, but you may have a lawn supply store locally that can order in 50lb bags. Also resold on eBay/Amazon pretty commonly. It seems like it's not *super* hard to find someone who will sell you a pallet.
      • Other users: It's pretty popular with aquarium/terrarium/vivarium hobbyists.
    • Monto Clay
      • Basically Turface with a 1/4" particle size (good because the Turface-branded products are much smaller).
      • Exclusively(?) available from Bonsai Jack (reasonable pricing and quantities).
  • Manufacturer: Oil-Dri
    • Oil-Dri
      • Lowes, Mills Farm and Fleet, Wal-Mart, NAPA #NFD6040
      • This is popular with hobby metalsmiths as an ingredient in "green sand" (used for casting) and forge refractory concrete.
    • Pro's Choice
      • Sold as a soil amendment for ball parks, golf courses, etc.
      • No retail source available that I know of
  • Manufacturer: EP Minerals
    • Safety Absorbent, Safe-T-Sorb, ThriftySorb
      • O'Reilly Auto Parts
      • Nigel Saunders uses "Safe-T-Sorb" but calls it "Turface"
    • Axis Ceramic
      • No retail source available that I know of (@milehigh_7 may be able to help)
    • Many more...

Diatomaceous Earth
    • NAPA Floor Dry #8822 (calcined)
      • Available retail from NAPA stores.
    • Opti-Sorb (not calcined)
      • O'Reilly Auto Parts
    • AxisDE (calcined)
      • Coarse (90% between 4 mesh (~1/4") and 3/8") available from Tree of Life Bonsai (aka @milehigh_7)
      • No retail sources for finer grades
    • Blue Ribbon DE Cat Litter
      • No retail source that I know of.
    • Many more...
  • Absorbent Products Limited
    • Can Dry
      • Given the company location, and the name/logo, I would try Canadian Tire or Home Hardware. Maybe someone north of the 49th could go on a mission?
Pumice
    • Stall Dry
      • Available from Tractor Supply Company, I've looked at Mills Fleet Farm but haven't seen it. Other livestock/horse supply stores might be able to hook you up.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Time for an update!

An incomplete* list of (mostly) American sources** for Bonsai Suitable clay and diatomaceous earth products
*slightly more accurate than the previous one.
**that I am aware of as someone who shops in Minnesota and on the Internet.

Calcined montmorillonite/bentonite clay
  • Manufacturer: Profile
    • Turface, Turface MVP
      • Sold as soil amendments for ball parks, golf courses, etc. Not super easy to find retail, but you may have a lawn supply store locally that can order in 50lb bags. Also resold on eBay/Amazon pretty commonly. It seems like it's not *super* hard to find someone who will sell you a pallet.
      • Other users: It's pretty popular with aquarium/terrarium/vivarium hobbyists.
    • Monto Clay
      • Basically Turface with a 1/4" particle size (good because the Turface-branded products are much smaller).
      • Exclusively(?) available fromBonsai Jack (reasonable pricing and quantities).
  • Manufacturer: Oil-Dri
    • Oil-Dri
      • Lowes, Mills Farm and Fleet, Wal-Mart, NAPA #NFD6040
      • This is popular with hobby metalsmiths as an ingredient in "green sand" (used for casting) and forge refractory concrete.
    • Pro's Choice
      • No retail source available that I know of
    • Safety Absorbent, Safe-T-Sorb, ThriftySorb
      • O'Reilly Auto Parts
      • Nigel Saunders uses "Safe-T-Sorb" but calls it "Turface"
    • Axis Ceramic
      • No retail source available that I know of (@milehigh_7 may be able to help)
    • Many more...

Diatomaceous Earth
    • NAPA Floor Dry #8822 (calcined)
      • Available retail from NAPA stores.
    • Opti-Sorb (not calcined)
      • O'Reilly Auto Parts
    • AxisDE (calcined)
      • Coarse (90% between 4 mesh (~1/4") and 3/8") available from Tree of Life Bonsai (aka @milehigh_7)
      • No retail sources for finer grades
    • Blue Ribbon DE Cat Litter
      • No retail source that I know of.
    • Many more...
    • Can Dry
      • Given the company location, and the name/logo, I would try Canadian Tire or Home Hardware. Maybe someone north of the 49th could go on a mission?
Pumice
    • Stall Dry
      • Available from Tractor Supply Company, I've looked at Mills Fleet Farm but haven't seen it. Other livestock/horse supply stores might be able to hook you up.
Excellent! Thank you.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Beware that some floor dry / oil absorbents will turn to mush on you. I would stick with NAPA 8822 if you go that route.

Expanded shale can be found for reasonably cheep in some areas. You might be able to source it from companies that deal with concrete aggregate.

I recommend you put your location in your profile. You will get much better info. What is cheep in one area can be very expensive in other areas.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It would help to know your general location although I assume that given your screen name you are in southern Louisiana? @Zach Smith is near Baton Rouge amd he uses lava, haydite, and bark. You might check with him to see what his sources are and this post may bring him out of the woodworks.

Top Bottom