Check out what I made!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
There's been a TON of discussion here of tools, lately. MOST having different specific items and methods they use in their clay process...

I believe in familiarizing one's self with as MANY methods as possible allows for a balanced, steady "Baseline Skill"

So I have begun making "Poor-Folk-Style" tools and equipment... I will share, the good, bad and the experimental here. (and results) I hope for brainstorming, refining, and to demonstrate what I do to POSSIBLY help with what you do.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Having worked with many professional potters over the years, I have found that many of them use common kitchen aids and tools for clay work.
I'm guilty.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I also found this neat little plastic apparatus.. for an original use obsolete. When opened up, it can serve several purposes... Just gave it a quick little "buff"DDDD70E5-723A-4686-B1A5-7EE0D9198F82.jpeg4274ACCC-E8E6-4AD7-A979-01E5E21AF669.jpeg

(Yup... pink pants.) 🤪

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Also.. after a little sanding.. THIS tool proved interesting. It's a twine holder.. I believe.88B7F552-E2D8-4BCC-8A38-1A62A9BD2D75.jpeg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hehe!! Thanks!

I'm VERY into the "Re-Use" portion of the Recycling Trifecta.... So I will FIND the materials, If i can.. amongst all this crap that my parents accumulated for years.

😂😂

I've been digging through piles of junk, disassembling/reassembling things for as long as I can remember.

I SHOULD have, though, looked FOR a "lazy susan"... because I have JUST been informed that my Mother found one in the attic... and I can have it.

🤦🏽‍♂️

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hehe!! Thanks!

I'm VERY into the "Re-Use" portion of the Recycling Trifecta.... So I will FIND the materials, If i can.. amongst all this crap that my parents accumulated for years.

😂😂

I've been digging through piles of junk, disassembling/reassembling things for as long as I can remember.

I SHOULD have, though, looked FOR a "lazy susan"... because I have JUST been informed that my Mother found one in the attic... and I can have it.

🤦🏽‍♂️
But would a lazy Susan have the character of the one you willed out of the “piles of junk”?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
But would a lazy Susan have the character of the one you willed out of the “piles of junk”?
Yes, yes.

The KNOWLEDGE gained was the real treat... I've never made a ball bearing bushing and suspension system from varying sizes and thicknesses of plastic tubes/straws... I'm SURE that was a useful "Theory-To-Physical" Relation built for use later in my Mental ToolKit.

Aaaand my Sons can work with which ever Suz'n that I'm not Uz'n.

🤓

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yes, yes.

The KNOWLEDGE gained was the real treat... I've never made a ball bearing bushing and suspension system from varying sizes and thicknesses of plastic tubes/straws... I'm SURE that was a useful "Theory-To-Physical" Relation built for use later in my Mental ToolKit.

Aaaand my Sons can work with which ever Suz'n that I'm not Uz'n.

🤓
Richard Dean Anderson would be proud 😂

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

I altered it.. and it actually works pretty good!

Those are Powell Swiss Ceramic "Bones" Bearings in that wheel... Abec-7 ...

Huggz13

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Very cool.
I’ve got a few rotating desk chairs that I’m about to repurpose into turntables.

I’m a teacher at a pretty big high school and they’re forever throwing out desk chairs and replacing them as they get worn out so I have a never ending supply to work with.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Very cool.
I’ve got a few rotating desk chairs that I’m about to repurpose into turntables.

I’m a teacher at a pretty big high school and they’re forever throwing out desk chairs and replacing them as they get worn out so I have a never ending supply to work with.
Awesome!!!

I only found one similar device.. and it was attached to a bent platform, bolted to an old musty Lazy Boy.. and would've required some more... digging ...to remove completely.

For the bent platform I chose to pass.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Haha I love your threads! Do you still skate?
I actually picked it up again (loosely) within the last couple years.. I used to skate FOR a shop and FOR a skateboard company, in a different life. all AM-atuer stuff, but fun.

Now I just cruise around.. I still practice "tricks" too.. just to teach the boys when they ask. 😂

I don't remember how to... um... "Fall" as PROPERLY as I did as a younger me.... you STAY "down" when you get old.. no fancy rolls/bounces.. just the flat "Slap" of your body hitting the concrete.

🤓

Top Bottom