check soil moisture in large soil

Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
i have recently switched my bonsai soil to a new mix which is mostly large particle pumice and lava. my old mix was turface and chicken grit, and was smaller particles. it was easy with this old mix to gauge the moisture content with a small bamboo skewer left in the soil. In the new mix, its hard to get a skewer to go very far into the soil. Should i switch to a larger thickness stick, like a chopstick? or is there a better way to check how wet the mix is?

thanks

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
i have recently switched my bonsai soil to a new mix which is mostly large particle pumice and lava. my old mix was turface and chicken grit, and was smaller particles. it was easy with this old mix to gauge the moisture content with a small bamboo skewer left in the soil. In the new mix, its hard to get a skewer to go very far into the soil. Should i switch to a larger thickness stick, like a chopstick? or is there a better way to check how wet the mix is?

thanks
You can hammer a chopstick in and mark the spot with a wire loop.
It will then be fairly easy to re-insert it in the same spot. Make sure it reaches the bottom of the pot. :)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
To continue my recent "anti-large particle" kick....

That's quite the change.

I'd assume it's always dry.

Weight it!

Sorce

Top Bottom