cherry blossom seed propagation

Bonsaithusiast

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been trying to propagate cherry blossoms seeds but im not sure if im doing it right, I have been influenced by the internet to set my seeds in a container with peat moss or coconut peat, pu that in the fridge and let it germinate. Its been four weeks exactly and i havent seen any germination yet (I know patience) but I cant be patient with something i dont know if its going to work or not, or im just doing unnecessary work and might not get anything in the end. My seeds are placed ontop of the organic soil and coconut peat on top. temperature is normal fridge temp, I actually havent seen too much mold grow in the container and its all under control. Like i said its been 4 weeks, internet has been telling me its 2-8 weeks for it to germinate. There is alot of methods on how people germinate their cherry blossom seeds and i chose this one. But i want to know if im doing this right by letting it germinate while in the fridge? Please let me know what would else i could do in the future or what i can do now.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Did you soak the seeds in water before you put them in the fridge? If not, it might take the full 8 weeks. Or it might even take until temperatures rise again after those 8 weeks.
The process can be annoying, but taking them out too soon will turn them into mouse food (they can and will devour your seeds).

Once they get going, make sure you protect the seedlings from snails. They stripped all of my young cherry foliage within a single night.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Cold stratification can be anywhere from 30 to 90 days depending on species so 4 weeks is really just a start. I'm getting 10m weeks to 3 month cold period from online sites about germinating cherry seed. Some species will not germinate until the seeds experience warmer temps after the cold period.
I would give your seeds the full 8 weeks of cold then take the pots out to normal outdoor temps and give them another few weeks.
If nothing germinates you can try cracking a seed to see if there's a nice white seed inside the shell. Sometimes the seeds are already dead from old age, not fertile in the first place or some other factor. If the seeds look good but still won't germinate I'd go back in the fridge or a longer stratification period (don't worry, time does not start from scratch again. Stratification is cumulative even if they've been warm in between)

Hoping yours are good and just taking their time.

Bonsaithusiast

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cold stratification can be anywhere from 30 to 90 days depending on species so 4 weeks is really just a start. I'm getting 10m weeks to 3 month cold period from online sites about germinating cherry seed. Some species will not germinate until the seeds experience warmer temps after the cold period.
I would give your seeds the full 8 weeks of cold then take the pots out to normal outdoor temps and give them another few weeks.
If nothing germinates you can try cracking a seed to see if there's a nice white seed inside the shell. Sometimes the seeds are already dead from old age, not fertile in the first place or some other factor. If the seeds look good but still won't germinate I'd go back in the fridge or a longer stratification period (don't worry, time does not start from scratch again. Stratification is cumulative even if they've been warm in between)

Hoping yours are good and just taking their time

Hoping yours are good and just taking their time.
I did soak the seeds before stratifying, and also, the seeds are one day away from entering week 6! its warm here literally everyday so hopefully in 3 more weeks, i hope to see germination after sowing in warmer temps. thanks for the advice, i was ready to sow them. you finally cleared up what i was asking myself about the stratification clock resetting. Thanks a lot and ill be updating.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
For future reference, it is much easier to plant your seeds in the fall and leave them outside for seeds that require cold stratification.
Except maybe in Columbia. With the equator running through the south of the country I doubt there's much winter down there and precious little cold weather except up high in the mountains.
Average cold temps for coldest month is 19C so nowhere near frost.
Fingers crossed that Cherries will survive long term in a tropical climate.

Last edited:

Bonsaithusiast

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Except maybe in Columbia. With the equator running through the south of the country I doubt there's much winter down there and precious little cold weather except up high in the mountains.
Average cold temps for coldest month is 19C so nowhere near frost.
Fingers crossed that Cherries will survive long term in a tropical climate.
Yea, that was one of my concerns and like you guys said lets just hope i can Maintain a cherry tree, if not ill have to stick the plant in the fridge😂. im really just experimenting with what i can actually work with and what with not.

Kievnstavick

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Speaking with some people down (Up for you) in Hawaii, keeping temperate plants alive takes a lot more then just sticking it in the fridge.

You would have to simulate the changing of seasons. That would involve slowly reducing day/night tempatures and reducing the amount of daylight hours. After all of that you will have to achieve the required dormancy hours for the species to begin a new cycle.

One of the more prominent bonsai artists over there turned his tool shed into a climate controlled space. He kept it up for 5 years or so before he gave up on the pursuit.

Just letting you know about the absolute mountain you'll be dealing with.

Bonsaithusiast

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Speaking with some people down (Up for you) in Hawaii, keeping temperate plants alive takes a lot more then just sticking it in the fridge.

You would have to simulate the changing of seasons. That would involve slowly reducing day/night tempatures and reducing the amount of daylight hours. After all of that you will have to achieve the required dormancy hours for the species to begin a new cycle.

One of the more prominent bonsai artists over there turned his tool shed into a climate controlled space. He kept it up for 5 years or so before he gave up on the pursuit.

Just letting you know about the absolute mountain you'll be dealing with.
thats a good sign to just forget about it 😂 yea not worth it.

Sagebrush

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can bing cherries be grown from seeds. Last autumn I cracked some pits and stored in fridge for 3 months in moist towel. Nothing. Has anyone ever had success with these seeds?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Bing is just a fruiting cultivar of Prunus avium like all the others we grow for fruit. Seeds will normally be fertile so It is more likely your technique or conditions that are the problem.
Have you put them outside after stratification? Might need some warmth to finally germinate.

Sagebrush

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bing is just a fruiting cultivar of Prunus avium like all the others we grow for fruit. Seeds will normally be fertile so It is more likely your technique or conditions that are the problem.
Have you put them outside after stratification? Might need some warmth to finally germinate.
Since this attempt I acquired the Propogating book by Dirks. Time to dive in and do some studying.

Top Bottom