Cherry blossom seeds & Yoshino Cherry cutting

Ericanoel6

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-1
My prunus serrulata seeds came in today as well as Yoshino cherry. I know how to stratify the seeds. I am starting off with a 24 hour soak in warm water. All of the seeds sunk!! I am thinking part cold stratification and part with seed starting mix to germinate. The seeds are from June 2020. There are bubbles in the water. I haven’t researched a whole lot on Yoshino Cherry. I’m not familiar with cutting care. I assume to transplant during the growing season after the buds open. It is currently dormant and has 7 buds. I intend on keeping it outside. It is ‘winter’ here in S. California. The lowest it gets at night is roughly 45° F. Daytime can be 70°s and under.
I assume it is wrapped in plastic to keep it humid and moist. I know to keep it out of full sun and to keep it moist. What is the best fertilizer and bonsai soil for deciduous trees? I read Cherry bonsai are ravenous and need to be fertilized every 2 weeks during growing season!
I was tearing up the whole time preparing the seeds and trying to give positive energy to them. I hope my grandma Shizue was watching down from heaven. I am starting these in her honor. If my seeds are successful, I will grow some for family members too. 🥲❤️
Any tips are appreciated. I would actually love to have a knowledgeable friend during this process. I understand this is a long term commitment. I have several years of gardening experience. Bonsai is completely new. I have always respected the art and am very excited to jump in!
Thank you so very much!

Attachments

• 8EC6DDA0-AD07-45F6-A027-C2F79F5EB21A.jpeg
    8EC6DDA0-AD07-45F6-A027-C2F79F5EB21A.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 43
  • 9D447991-57AA-403A-8227-33AC18579982.jpeg
    9D447991-57AA-403A-8227-33AC18579982.jpeg
    165.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 16770C6B-1DC7-4F26-BAA8-61FCAD42570C.jpeg
    16770C6B-1DC7-4F26-BAA8-61FCAD42570C.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 75
  • D9D94BCD-4D3A-4274-A681-02EBF0CABE14.jpeg
    D9D94BCD-4D3A-4274-A681-02EBF0CABE14.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 79
  • FF65EFBF-ECE4-4E8E-AE48-18EEE9B773F4.jpeg
    FF65EFBF-ECE4-4E8E-AE48-18EEE9B773F4.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 80

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I lost 568 cherry seeds last year. Mice seem to love them.
Make sure you germinate those seeds in a secure place where they can't get to it.

The plastic wrap is used to keep the soil from falling out during shipping, no more, no less.

I haven't been very succesful with prunus mume, but my other cherries seem to do just fine. I don't feed them more than any other tree.
I'm getting a bunch more to play with in february.

Good luck! And welcome to the forum.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Welcome!

There are a million different soils and fertilizers you can use. I would recommend you keep it very simple.

Soil: Akadama
Fertilizer: Biogold organic fertilizer pellets and Neptune’s Harvest Organic liquid fish and seaweed fertilizer.

Good luck!

Warlock

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm gonna get a bunch of cuttings off my Yoshino Cherry once the last freeze is over in Feb. Hope they root

Ericanoel6

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-1
Welcome!

There are a million different soils and fertilizers you can use. I would recommend you keep it very simple.

Fertilizer: Biogold organic fertilizer pellets and Neptune’s Harvest Organic liquid fish and seaweed fertilizer.

Good luck!
Thanks. That is a great place to start.

Ericanoel6

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-1
I lost 568 cherry seeds last year. Mice seem to love them.
Make sure you germinate those seeds in a secure place where they can't get to it.

The plastic wrap is used to keep the soil from falling out during shipping, no more, no less.

I haven't been very succesful with prunus mume, but my other cherries seem to do just fine. I don't feed them more than any other tree.
I'm getting a bunch more to play with in february.

Good luck! And welcome to the forum.
Ahh that is terrible! I’m going to do cold stratification for most of them (per instructions I received) and some with seed starting soil next to a windowsill. I’m reading that they don’t like hard water because it’s too salty. Should I buy distilled water during this sensitive time?! If I’m lucky, I can illegally grab some rain water the next time we get rain. Ha!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
My cherries have no issues with regular tap water. Alternating between rain and tap water is never a bad idea.

Keep in mind though that windows filter a large percentage of plant-usable light, window sill seedlings might stretch when looking for more light, giving you some leggy seedlings. Since cherries mainly bud from nodes, it might be a good idea to start them in full sun or half shade outdoors instead; otherwise it'll be difficult to keep them tiny and ramified.
Some mesh covering should keep most of the rodents out.

Ericanoel6

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-1
Welcome!

Good luck!
Thank you!

Louisinass

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
MAR
My prunus serrulata seeds came in today as well as Yoshino cherry. I know how to stratify the seeds. I am starting off with a 24 hour soak in warm water. All of the seeds sunk!! I am thinking part cold stratification and part with seed starting mix to germinate. The seeds are from June 2020. There are bubbles in the water. I haven’t researched a whole lot on Yoshino Cherry. I’m not familiar with cutting care. I assume to transplant during the growing season after the buds open. It is currently dormant and has 7 buds. I intend on keeping it outside. It is ‘winter’ here in S. California. The lowest it gets at night is roughly 45° F. Daytime can be 70°s and under.
I assume it is wrapped in plastic to keep it humid and moist. I know to keep it out of full sun and to keep it moist. What is the best fertilizer and bonsai soil for deciduous trees? I read Cherry bonsai are ravenous and need to be fertilized every 2 weeks during growing season!
I was tearing up the whole time preparing the seeds and trying to give positive energy to them. I hope my grandma Shizue was watching down from heaven. I am starting these in her honor. If my seeds are successful, I will grow some for family members too. 🥲❤️
Any tips are appreciated. I would actually love to have a knowledgeable friend during this process. I understand this is a long term commitment. I have several years of gardening experience. Bonsai is completely new. I have always respected the art of nudity and am very excited to do same !
Thank you guys

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome aboard!

As far as the cuttings grow, I find its best to “bag” the entire cutting, if it won’t fit under a dome, for at least the first 2-3 months. Then grow out in dappled light for about 6 hr/day until you are sure the roots are doing well. Then slowly ease it into more light.

Water as needed. Use H2O2 in water... about 1tbsp/Qt of water to keep fungus down.

Cheers
DSD sends

Top Bottom