Cherry blossom

sbaddy

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello
I live in the UK and am thinking of buying a cherry blossom bonsai. Are they easy to care for, can they stay outside all year. I have looked at guidance on the internet but thought I would ask on here. thanks in advance

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Cherries are definitely in the harder to look after category. They suffer from many different diseases and pests.
Also need specific pruning to maintain growth and to promote flowers.
I think cherry should be OK outside through winter in most parts of UK but even on those small islands there's quite a difference in climate depending whether you are coastal, mountain, South or North.
Adding a general location (but a bit more specific than just UK) to your personal profile will definitely help others give you better advice.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here in zone 7 I do not offer protection to prunus species. Further I can agree with all shibiu stated on susceptibility to diseases. But when flowering they are spectacular!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello
I live in the UK and am thinking of buying a cherry blossom bonsai. Are they easy to care for, can they stay outside all year. I have looked at guidance on the internet but thought I would ask on here. thanks in advance
It would help if you say what kind of tree species you're talking about--"cherry blossom bonsai" is not a kind of tree. It is a description that can, and is, used to cover tropical species, azaleas and others. This make a big difference in care. Barbados Cherry --Malpighia species and Australian Brush Cherry -- Syzygium paniculatum or Eugenia myrtifolia--are tropical species that are sold as cherries in many places that sell mass produced bonsai. They're not cherries. They typically have a lot of flowers that some people can't resist, though.

Real "cherry" trees are prunus species which grow in temperate climates and can (and should) be outside all the time. There are many varieties, including th famous Japanese varieties. They can make decent bonsai, but they're not as easy as some tree species in containers.

Top Bottom