Cherry Stump Advice

Raak

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello all, this was collected (it's a cherry tree I think) as a stump in spring this year and has put out strong shoots more than a metre in length. My aim is to use the top shoot as a new leader. Could I please ask when it is best to prune this branch (branches generally) back? Next spring? Or should the tree be left for a couple/few years? I can't find much specific information on this topic. Thanks
DSC_0436.JPG

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
You can prune whenever you like. Recent collections are generally allowed to grow free for a year or so to regain strength and recover but if yours already has good root growth and plenty of long top growth it would be Ok to prune now.
Cherry are best pruned when active as they are susceptible to a number of diseases that can infect through open wounds in winter.
Personally i would recut the stump at an angle close below the chosen leader and allow that leader to continue to grow so it will help close the wound. pruning will slow that process. I would probably prune the lower vertical shoot and begin developing more horizontal branches from any new shoots that grow from the base assuming you want a branch at that spot.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Probably best to get rid of that secondary apical branch too for a smoother transition.

Sorce

Raak

Seedling
Reaction score
Many thanks, I will get rid of the lower branch and leave the top one/new leader to let it thicken as suggested 👍

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Depending on where in the world you are and what your climate is like, now may not be a good time to hard prune this. If you live in a cold weather climate, and you are approaching fall/winter, you may get some new growth that will not harden off before cold weather hits. If you go to your profile page and put your location there, we can give you good advice for your climate. I have tried wild black cherries several times. They always got a few years from collection, but the wounds never would heal and they got all sorts of diseases. But perhaps you will have better luck! It has a good start on a nice shape.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
that looks like one of those prunus aviam trees, there are all kinds of cherries though i guess but looks a little like one i dug up in summer. theyre tough buggers, mine is growing like a weed and it had barely any root when i dug it in june.

Raak

Seedling
Reaction score
Depending on where in the world you are and what your climate is like, now may not be a good time to hard prune this. If you live in a cold weather climate, and you are approaching fall/winter, you may get some new growth that will not harden off before cold weather hits. If you go to your profile page and put your location there, we can give you good advice for your climate. I have tried wild black cherries several times. They always got a few years from collection, but the wounds never would heal and they got all sorts of diseases. But perhaps you will have better luck! It has a good start on a nice shape.
Thank you. I am based in Central Europe, so we have hot summers and cold winters. The January average is around -4. I will use some sealant on the wound to plug is and encourage it to heal properly

Raak

Seedling
Reaction score
that looks like one of those prunus aviam trees, there are all kinds of cherries though i guess but looks a little like one i dug up in summer. theyre tough buggers, mine is growing like a weed and it had barely any root when i dug it in june.
Oh yeah that is the one. Thanks, I wasn't sure what type it was. The striped bark is really distinctive. A large pine had been blown over and growing right next to it was this small tree, which had been totally uprooted along with the pine. Both were on their side, and had been for some time. There were not many fine roots, so I was dubious, but it has put out a lot of vigorous growth, growing like a weed for sure. Hope it is a sign of things to come! Good luck with yours!

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
i dont really know much about them apart from this form of cherry being courser in growth habit than the more prized varieties like cerasifera or mahaleb. the leaves on these are large and nodes big.
but what ill do on mine is cut back to the shortest nodes at some point after leaf drop or in spring it doesnt really matter.

back in june
20210607_141307.jpg

today
20210901_181315.jpg

note some tighter nodes and smaller leaves at the base where ill likely cut back to20210901_182117.jpg

Top Bottom