Cherry tree chop; now or wait?

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
is it wrong if i haven't lost a tree and I can collect large trees with killer potential?

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
many professionals collect in one attempt and severely reduce everything, because it's a business and even though the survival rate is less, they can sell the tree/develop the tree faster/get it into a bonsai pot sooner. I do not think this is the best way. Will an elm tolerate it? Absolutely. It's an elm! Is there anything wrong with taking my time? I don't think so.

Danny Tuckey

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Root reduction and top reduction should be done at the same time with most deciduous trees. By leaving all that top growth over a sharply reduced root system, he leaves that come out could have a difficult time. Without the root system to send them moisture, expect some wilting and die off. Tree should recover, but it could be ugly.

The "one insult at a time" thing is primarily aimed at conifers, which take more time to work. Deciduous trees, for the most part, are more immediately resilient with drastic root reduction and trunk chops.

For instance it is standard procedure here in the U.S. to chop 95 of the roots off species such as hornbeam Bald cypress, elm and others at collection and do a 90-95 percent trunk chop at the same time...

I recently read on a post somewhere it's better to not chop off the top as the tree will naturally die back to what it can maintain with the current roots and it helps grow the roots since there are more leaves. If you do chop off the top you might lose a part of the tree you want to keep anyway. (something along those lines and can't remember which post it was on here).

Top Bottom