Cherry .. Worth the effort or ditch?

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
On the fungicide issue, last summer I had [briefly] a wonderful black cherry that I potted up, from some aged nursery stock. Cherry bark will eventually get a crusty look to it, almost as if covered by lichen, and mine was just that. It did, however, have a somewhat persistent case of black spot, which I attempted to treat. I use the past tense because I learned the hard way that certain fungicides become phytotoxic when applied at temperatures above 80 degrees Fahrenheit. My grandfather used to say that, "yes, the school of experience is the best teacher, but sometimes the tuition can be expensive."

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very cool! Roseaceae need fungal treatment I believe
I have this stuff for roses against mildew. I do a coating of all my fruiting bonsai (cherry, crabapple, mume) sometime in the growing season when it starts to get muggy. "Luckily", the last two years our summers have been scarely dry so no mildew whatsoever.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have this stuff for roses against mildew. I do a coating of all my fruiting bonsai (cherry, crabapple, mume) sometime in the growing season when it starts to get muggy. "Luckily", the last two years our summers have been scarely dry so no mildew whatsoever.
Yea Im going to look into this also.I will be growing Quince...chinese and japanese,Hawthorne.I want to look and see how fireblight and various molds get started in rosacea.I want to see how Dutch hydro growers deal with this since fungicides are banned there.I slready know half the story,but fireblight is different maybe and rosaceae are suseptible I read.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It is often the case, especially in houses in the city, that a limited amount of space causes us to put our pots very close to each other. I have found that adequate spacing between plants to allow good air circulation is very important. Also, if I get more than two days in a row of rain, with more coming, I move my trees inside or under the overhang. Believe it or not, it’s also worthwhile to occasionally just shake the trees to get some of the raindrops off the leaves.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I like it, I'd say keep but it us up to you. Enjoy it keep it, if you don't plant out in the yard or get rid if it. It is all about what you enjoy.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I ran across this and am now in anticipation as to “what happened” with this neat piece of material.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I ran across this and am now in anticipation as to “what happened” with this neat piece of material.
It is sitting on my bench still taking up space.

This spring at random 2 branches on one of the the trunks died. No whilting no discoloration. From one day to the next it was brown. Very odd. Normally I blame the kid next door and his football. But no damage at all. Ah well.. Time to play hare. Just sit and wait to see what happens. I pulled a second one from the ditch which I have planted in one of my growing beds. (But with the insanely dry spring we have had, rain twice in 10 weeks I doubt it is still alive, considering I do not get there often with covid stopping me from going to the office)

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Black lines are where I more or less trimmed back to in winter.
Red the two dead branches, making me owrry the side it dying.

View attachment 303747

Oh no! I would worry about that side too. Localized death always make me think “injury or death from the heart” I hope you figure it out.

Top Bottom