Chi Chi Ginkgo oh my!

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I prune mine just after the leaves drop.
I remember you saying that you could do it after leaves drop or before bud break, but I don’t know the benefit of doing it at one time or another? I’ll take your word for it though and do it after leaf drop,

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@sorce dude...when did you get into making pots!?! I was thinking...about what you said. And...honestly I didn't realize you had headed into that direction.

Got a kiln on my b-day..9-30..
And some clay a week later.

Been busy since!

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@sorce ... Thanks for the heads up...wishing you success n your endeavors of the kiln. No wonder I found nothing as photos here. Will be curious what you come up with. If you do anything eclectic and Sorce like along with standard pots.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Chewing over this purchase. It might be large enough for training...but with having just the one ginkgo...I imagine I will downsize pot once more refined. But since I don't show...could just stay in an oversized pot.

Pot is By Dale Cochoy 12 3/4" x 4"

image.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A friend told me dark blue would show off the pale yellow much better. I do believe many do dark blue pots as well. Far from a show pot. But ponder up potting into a nicer pot than training pot. Then I won't feel rushed to put it into nice shoes if it has oversized ones that are decent.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thoughts?
No to both for me. A ginkgo pot is really kitch with a ginkgo tree; and the light blue would be nice in spring, but a washout in fall. I like my darkish blue, but am really ready to move to a chocolate brown unglazed bag-shaped oval.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
No to both for me. A ginkgo pot is really kitch with a ginkgo tree; and the light blue would be nice in spring, but a washout in fall. I like my darkish blue, but am really ready to move to a chocolate brown unglazed bag-shaped oval.
Thanks Brian...I have seen many in chocolate brown unglazed. More so than in blue. Thanks for your input. Knowing the species as you do. I trust you. I love the ginkgo leaf...but I never did matchy matchy...this is currently in a 10x5 pot. Scott mentioned up potting. But didn't give a formative size. Any direction there?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The roots are fleshy and very prolific. Mine pushes up and out if the pot every year by fall. Maybe go 12-13”x3”.
Thanks Brian! Removing some roots to get it there...trunk is set...just need development in upper tree now. It has raised some...but was not level with the rim to begin with.

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It's hard to come up with original ideas ...
That work....

But .....

Oh yeah!

Sorce

You know once you start producing pottery i've got to scoop you up for the website. Start posting up pictures once you're feeling good about sharing!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You know once you start producing pottery i've got to scoop you up for the website. Start posting up pictures once you're feeling good about sharing!

Lol! I can't wait!

I been thinking about if I am yet a potter.
Or if I am not till things survive firing.
Or not until a tree is actually planted into a pot.

I watched a Video on a Potter from Mexico the other day.
A Master.

They say you can not be a master Potter unless you....

Dig, process, and form the clay.
Burnish the pots, decorate.
Build a kiln and fire a pot.

Basically Everything.

I'm with that!

I have scrolled thru the site numerous times in the passed couple weeks.

Excellent resource!

Thanks!

Sorce

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Lol! I can't wait!

I been thinking about if I am yet a potter.
Or if I am not till things survive firing.
Or not until a tree is actually planted into a pot.

I watched a Video on a Potter from Mexico the other day.
A Master.

They say you can not be a master Potter unless you....

Dig, process, and form the clay.
Burnish the pots, decorate.
Build a kiln and fire a pot.

Basically Everything.

I'm with that!

I have scrolled thru the site numerous times in the passed couple weeks.

Excellent resource!

Thanks!

Sorce

You pose an interesting question about when a person truly becomes a potter. I've seen many debates about the topic, and I think it really boils down to how serious the potter is about mastering clay and how much they intend to charge for their pieces (do they plan to make a living off the pottery). Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing what you put out. You know I'll have to snatch one up once you start selling them!

Top Bottom