Chi Chi Ginkgo oh my!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I passed on this pot. Never did hear back from Scott...with another interested it foolish to keep a pending sale tied up. I may surely think on this lovely pot for years to come. It was stunning. But, honestly...I don't know where I want to go...upsize potting or training pot which would be lighter to lift.

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Wow, how do you get that much growth on a ginkgo in a year... my 4+ year old seedling doesn't even put on half that growth...so slow.:oops:

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Just a regular Gingko biloba i think..Maybe my location. Might move it in spring...might not be getting enough sun.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just a regular Gingko biloba i think..Maybe my location. Might move it in spring...might not be getting enough sun.
The reason I ask...is there is one called a Chase Manhattan. Check out post #50... On this link. It grows very very slow. You could try and place in a sunnier location. see if it helps. If not, may question if it has to do with the genetic make up of your cultivar.
https://bonsainut.com/threads/ginkgo-biloba.28873/page-3#post-482198

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
The reason I ask...is there is one called a Chase Manhattan. Check out post #50... On this link. It grows very very slow. You could try and place in a sunnier location. see if it helps. If not, may question if it has to do with the genetic make up of your cultivar.
https://bonsainut.com/threads/ginkgo-biloba.28873/page-3#post-482198
LOL, I hope not, that would be depressing, watching a tree for 9 years do nothing. :D

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Watching seedlings is hard enough.;)

Last edited:

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Hope they are in ground...you will find it far more interesting. Ginkgo I am assuming?
I meant seedlings in general..but yes my Ginkgo is in the ground and still about the same pencil thickness as when bought it 2 years ago, with no new branches. :confused:

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
This is last year...only one i have..just took it at the time the shoots came out. I didn't bother taking any of the tree this year but they did the same thing and just bud out but no new branches.
It's 3-4 feet tall pencil...i don't think there is any lower growth. not much to look at!
9kiATA.jpg

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Five years ago my Ginko was failing down to three trunks and the larger one showed no growth that year. I followed the advice of an experienced Ginko grower and repotted it in Kanuma, a bit larger pot and have repotted it yearly. It has since steadily improved with better growth each year. I too thought they were a real slow growing tree based on my first years experience with a Ginko. Not so in the right conditions. I now have to trim lots of suckers each fall. I am working to style and ramify now that it has returned to health and produced some more trunks in the clump style. It is in a suitable size pot for now but not the best color for leaves when they are out.

Attachments

• IMG_9155.jpg
    IMG_9155.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 66

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Five years ago my Ginko was failing down to three trunks and the larger one showed no growth that year. I followed the advice of an experienced Ginko grower and repotted it in Kanuma, a bit larger pot and have repotted it yearly. It has since steadily improved with better growth each year. I too thought they were a real slow growing tree based on my first years experience with a Ginko. Not so in the right conditions. I now have to trim lots of suckers each fall. I am working to style and ramify now that it has returned to health and produced some more trunks in the clump style. It is in a suitable size pot for now but not the best color for leaves when they are out.
It's got character...already going for it. Is it in the current pot?

Plan on putting mine in a 12-14 " round with a depth close to 5" if I can fine one. On guidance of Scott Lee whom I purchased this from. For development it needs a larger pot. It's currently in what...a 10" bulb pot. It's the best way for development...

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Kanuma huh, didn’t know they liked that type of soil. Hopefully what I put mine in will suffice, even though it’s not acidic like Kanuma

Top Bottom