Chi Chi Ginkgo oh my!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Super stoked...shipped out Monday from the UK...and is already notified me out for delivery today. I may actually have to wait for the ginkgo to...wake up! I'm to good if a Ginkgo whisperer...as I whispered to stay sleeping until it's shoes got here.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ginkgo in its new shoes. Commissioned pot by Victor Harris of Erin Pottery.
Needs watered in but so happy with this pairing...trunk damp from misting roots to keep from drying.
20190326_142407.jpg
Oh, struggled with those roots to saw through with hand saw. Was praying out loud. For fear I would never get through. Then remembered my husband has a fine tool in his truck...and was working inside our lake community up the road at a cottage summer home. I told him I need one. Their only around $100.
20190326_135709.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Good job on the roots. Your tree won’t skip a beat. The pot size is good, but I wish you would have planted it a bit closer to center. You still can redo it without any problem, and I think you’d be happy with the result. Visually, I want to line up the right edge of the base with the left edge of the yellow blaze. That would be bangin’.
4FF14A89-12FB-499F-8782-AC044B903F51.jpeg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Glad you found something so fitting. Should be cool in the fall!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Good job on the roots. Your tree won’t skip a beat. The pot size is good, but I wish you would have planted it a bit closer to center. You still can redo it without any problem, and I think you’d be happy with the result. Visually, I want to line up the right edge of the base with the left edge of the yellow blaze. That would be bangin’.
View attachment 234024
Thanks that was quite the challenge. I needed that fine tool...you gave me the go ahead. Which makes sense since these can be cuttings.

The reason I off centered it. Was because that right side is pretty straight up and down, in leaf it would be noticeable. In Victor's virtual, he off set it to the right a bit. Will chew on it...and decide if I want to move it over. But I centered the tree as how Victor set it in the virtual. I just worry about void space on the right if it's moved more to the left once in foliage. But, in the same sense...see your point.

Thanks @JudyB ! ☺️

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks great in the natural light.Good job.I like this Gingko!
Awesome pot.
When it’s in green leaves,the splash of yellow will be the reminder of what’s to come!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ginkgo in its new shoes. Commissioned pot by Victor Harris of Erin Pottery.
Needs watered in but so happy with this pairing...trunk damp from misting roots to keep from drying.
View attachment 234012
Oh, struggled with those roots to saw through with hand saw. Was praying out loud. For fear I would never get through. Then remembered my husband has a fine tool in his truck...and was working inside our lake community up the road at a cottage summer home. I told him I need one. Their only around $100.
View attachment 234013

Holy cow Batman:eek:! Bigger tree than expected and hot babe as well;).

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Looks great in the natural light.Good job.I like this Gingko!
Awesome pot.
When it’s in green leaves,the splash of yellow will be the reminder of what’s to come!
Thank you, yes...always prefer natural light for photos. That pot is one of my favorites, possibly since it was made for one of my top five trees. Looking forward to seeing it in leaf as well.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Holy cow Batman:eek:! Bigger tree than expected and hot babe as well;).
? I wouldn't go that far...substrate in the hair and what not. But a doctumentation of my first manhandling the roots to that degree and getting it done...but yes, this tree's base is about "5 wide. Love this tree.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Cadillactaste
Awesome video! I love the base!

One thing I noticed about the base, is the pronounced swelling at the root crown, and then the trunk that kinda exits like a stove pipe, like with an abrupt transition from root crow to trunk. I have three dwarf varieties that have been in the same pot for five years and I'm in the process of repotting all three. I started noticing the bases doing the same thing with mine last year and started to think they were grafted.

When purchased, they were so small being in a 4" pot, I never imagined they would graft something so small. After seeing yours, I'm beginning to think this is how they grow normally, unless yours is grafted?

I'm beginning to confuse myself, usually these things are easy to tell but the ginkgo growth is all around just different than other deciduous...o_O:oops:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Cadillactaste
Awesome video! I love the base!

One thing I noticed about the base, is the pronounced swelling at the root crown, and then the trunk that kinda exits like a stove pipe, like with an abrupt transition from root crow to trunk. I have three dwarf varieties that have been in the same pot for five years and I'm in the process of repotting all three. I started noticing the bases doing the same thing with mine last year and started to think they were grafted.

When purchased, they were so small being in a 4" pot, I never imagined they would graft something so small. After seeing yours, I'm beginning to think this is how they grow normally, unless yours is grafted?

I'm beginning to confuse myself, usually these things are easy to tell but the ginkgo growth is all around just different than other deciduous.o_O:oops:..
Chi-Chi cutting from Scott Lee. No graft. Take that to the bank! I think he chopped at a Chi-Chi was my thinking. But that is only hypothetical...they easily could grow this way. But the mother tree had Chi-Chi.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Cadillactaste

No unfortunately not, had one about 15 years ago...

Mine are Green Pagoda, and there's literally nothing on the net about them other than the same (b.s.?) info: 2' tall in 10 years; mine did that in their first year :rolleyes:

And if you don't mind, I could post a thumbnail of what's going on with mine?

Top Bottom