Chi Chi Ginkgo oh my!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
P
@Cadillactaste

No unfortunately not, had one about 15 years ago...

Mine are Green Pagoda, and there's literally nothing on the net about them other than the same (b.s.?) info: 2' tall in 10 years; mine did that in their first year :rolleyes:

And if you don't mind, I could post a thumbnail of what's going on with mine?
Please do.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just 2 quick pics; no intentions of derailing your beautiful tree and new beautiful pot:)
IMG_20190329_184928196.jpg
IMG_20190329_184908761.jpg

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It was just reminiscent of some old landscape conifer's graft in my eyes. I have a grafted 25' weeping white pine in my yard that looks like that, only like 20" wide, a flatish hemisphere with a trunk shooting straight out...

Yours is barely noticeable against that awesome nebari and only really on a small portion. I only noticed it because it's been on my mind dealing with mine.

Thanks for the help!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It was just reminiscent of some old landscape conifer's graft in my eyes. I have a grafted 25' weeping white pine in my yard that looks like that, only like 20" wide, a flatish hemisphere with a trunk shooting straight out...

Yours is barely noticeable against that awesome nebari and only really on a small portion. I only noticed it because it's been on my mind dealing with mine.

Thanks for the help!
Welcome...I know some are grafted. But usually you see swelling. But...Scott ground grew mine. So...I know it's pedigree so to speak. He's expecting Chi-Chi to develop on my branches soon. Just by the mother tree and it having Chi-Chi.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That next section after the main trunk definitely looks like it's starting to form chi-chis!

Gorgeousness tree! And that splash of yellow on the pot was genius!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That next section after the main trunk definitely looks like it's starting to form chi-chis!

Gorgeousness tree! And that splash of yellow on the pot was genius!
Thank you...All Victor. He mentioned it ...and I was all in. Yes, I too thought it was looking like maybe something was moving there.

Had one on a FB group go on and on about how horrible this tree is. He's an old member here actually. He has me laughing at his distaste of it. He even pulled up an old post to take another dig. ? Oh the fun at his expense.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Just 2 quick pics; no intentions of derailing your beautiful tree and new beautiful pot:)
View attachment 235375
View attachment 235376

This is a lignotuber it is natural growth. Basically it's a store of energy and food for when the tree hits hard times. Should bud prolifically too from there so you may need to rub them off if you don't want buds there.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Should bud prolifically too from there so you may need to rub them off if you don't want buds there.

Thanks for the info, and the article!

Yeah, you can see two buds on the lignotuber at the moment; not sure if I'll let them push or not, I know those buds can just sit there for seasons without any activity.

The root crowns on mine were buried for years and I only realized something was going on when 2 of the 3 trees pushed out suckers. I then uncovered the bases and noticed the pronounced swelling and the abrupt transitions from root crown to stem and started thinking they were grafted. The odd thing was that the suckering stems seemed more vigourous than the rest of the plant (which I know is common with suckers, but could indicate root stock dominance over the scion stock) and the foliage on the sucker wasn't quite the same as the rest of the tree.

The majority of the foliage on mine were either not bi-lobed or slightly divided, where the sucker's foliage was deeply bi-lobed which further led me to believe they were grafted and the "normal" ginkgo root stock was beginning to take over.

I wonder now what causes the difference of foliage in the basal growth from the rest of the tree; environmental, genetic, both, or something else all togethero_Oo_Oo_O? From the article, these lignotubers seem ultra specialized, so there's no telling what's really going on in these.

Thanks for all the help nuts!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks great!

Have to admit even though the proportions in Vic's virtual are perfect for a finished tree, it made the pot look too small for your tree right now.

Glad it's actually bigger and will give you some growing room. Love the pot.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Looks great!

Have to admit even though the proportions in Vic's virtual are perfect for a finished tree, it made the pot look too small for your tree right now.

Glad it's actually bigger and will give you some growing room. Love the pot.
Thanks!
Yes,growing room...BVF told me the size to request. Works perfectly...to grow into as well. Thanks for your comment.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Tree is gorgeous Darlene! That close up with the fallen leaf and that glaze is beautiful.
Thank you. The movement in the trunk is what had me fall in love with the tree... when it was naked and a photo sent from the seller. Fall colors take my breath away. More than I ever imagined. Again, thank you...Victor NAILED it with his pot.

Top Bottom