sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is Madison Wisconsin close enough to Chicago? It's 2 hrs away, but parts of Chicago are 2 hrs away from Chicago.....

Anyway, we're having our annual spring show at Olbrich Gardens May 21, 22.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Get in touch with the peeps at the Midwest Bonsai Society. Tell them I sent you :) (I used to be a member 20 years ago)

They meet at the Chicago Botanic Garden in Glencoe... about 45 minutes out of downtown(?)

/EDIT I just checked the site and they apparently have a new "downtown" chapter that meets in the city so you don't have to slog up to Glencoe every month.

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Don't think I will attend the Wlater Pall events but I would really like to attend the Spring exhibit of the Midwest Bonsai Society:
http://www.midwestbonsai.org/may-exhibit/about/

Interested?
We could even meet somewhere on the road and share the parking fees ;)

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A

Learned something today, but had to look it up to know if it is pronouced like in Chicago, Chips, or Shyster. Apparently, it's sounded like in Chinatown, correct? :cool:

PS: if you attend, make a video if WP makes the tree levitate. o_O

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chinatown

Only of you are of Latin decent and pronounce China like Shina.

Shyster....that would be right.

Not eggplant!

Sorce

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I'm not of Latin descent, I'm a true Frenchman, the son of immigrants from the Tatra mountains :p

But I admit I'm more familiar with romanese languages, even if I've lived in the northern half of France since I was six where people speak "langue d'oïl" but lived in Massif Central before, where some still speak "langue d'oc".

FYOI:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Langues_d'oïl
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occitan_language

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Shytown...

Aka "the city", "downtown" or if you are talking to a local you use the neighborhood "Wrigleyville", "the Loop", "River North", "Mag Mile" etc...

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So guys, anyone for the May exhibit of the MBS?...

From a Northwest burbs' guy.

adamjcode

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The May exhibit is pretty cool. I went last year. Worthwhile to see the in-house collection at the Chicago Botanic Garden alone.

I haven't been to the August event there but I'm told it's much larger than the May event, with many more trees and many more vendors.

I don't think I'll be able to attend the May event but I've definitely put the August 21-22, 2016 event on my calendar.

AC

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@sorce and I went to the Aug event and it was really fun. Nice bonsai but also a bunch of vendors and some good deals too (got myself a nice serissa for $10).

As for the in-house collection I could spend days looking at it but I'm not sure my wife will like that.
Anyway the entire garden is just awesome! :)

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I'll definitely drop in May 20-21, one of the 2 days. Maybe we will all meet up. As the day gets closer, let each other know when you'll be there. I'm easy to spot, fat guy with white hairand a loud laugh.

Karen Shuman will be there in May selling pots. I love some of her pots. Fired to cone 9 or 10, they ring like porceline. Some are thin, elegant and quite useful. Worth checking her stuff out. Not every piece is to my tastes, but some are great.

Sara Rayner will be vending in August, I love her pots buy one every year.

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'll definitely drop in May 20-21, one of the 2 days. Maybe we will all meet up. As the day gets closer, let each other know when you'll be there. I'm easy to spot, fat guy with white hairand a loud laugh.

Karen Shuman will be there in May selling pots. I love some of her pots. Fired to cone 9 or 10, they ring like porceline. Some are thin, elegant and quite useful. Worth checking her stuff out. Not every piece is to my tastes, but some are great.

Sara Rayner will be vending in August, I love her pots buy one every year.

Right on! :)

I'll definitively be there too. Easy to spot too: I have a very thick French accent. And a very French's face according to my Peruvian wife :)

We have to coordinate, @sorce ?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm trying to go see Owen at THG on the 28th-29th.....

@Owen Reich
What's going on over there?
Classes?
I can't find any info but you are there.....

Sorce

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Btw: I'll be at the MBS Saturday at 11 am ish but I will do it full speed because we are adopting kittens and my wife will be like: 'and now, can we go now?...'
So I think the best is to think of me as 'not going' really.
I will just do some speed dating to pick-up a tree (or more, $ permitted) so basically grocery shopping much more than attending a show

:)

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
I'm trying to go see Owen at THG on the 28th-29th.....

@Owen Reich
What's going on over there?
Classes?
I can't find any info but you are there.....

Sorce
BYOT workshop and kusamono class. I'll be driving up which is dangerous...... Lots of Western collected trees for sale there.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
BYOT workshop and kusamono class. I'll be driving up which is dangerous...... Lots of Western collected trees for sale there.

Thanks Bro!
If I make it.....can we get a selfie?

Sorce

DrBonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Top Bottom