Chicago Bonsai

chappy56

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have not posted on here for more than ten years, but today I have a question. Do any of you Nuts know anything about Hidden Gardens Bonsai in Willowbrook Illinois near Chicago?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Forgive me.
Okay, but it is only because there is no guarantee that I have another decade to teach you a lesson :p;)

I do know that Walter Pall often appears there and I believe he has a stock of American yamadori for sale there. But beyond this hearsay, I know nothing. Maybe @sorce will fulfill your needs - he's nearby and made an impression on Walter a few months ago.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
I have not posted on here for more than ten years, but today I have a question. Do any of you Nuts know anything about Hidden Gardens Bonsai in Willowbrook Illinois near Chicago?
Yes, excellent selection of yamadori from Randy Knight, Andy Smith, Todd Schlafer and some others. Decent deciduous selection as well. One of the best nurseries in that area, lots of good prebonsai to check out.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I feel spoiled for having the resource so close.

Spoiled.

This weekend won't be the best as I believe Jeff is in St. Louis.

Sorce

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Definitely a must-visit-type-of-place if you live in northern Illinois... and even if you're a couple hours away, it's still worth a visit. I make the trip every couple of months from Iowa City, to pick up soil components, occasionally a tree, but mostly just to "have a look."

As Bleumeon stated, there are 100's of incredible trees in Jeff Schultz's inventory. They range from small yamadori to specimens that can only reasonably be moved around with a pallet jack.

I was there in February, before the overwintered trees were moved out of the hoop houses, and I snapped some pictures of three trees collected by Randy Knight that just showed up the day before on a semi-truck. Yes, that's right... semis-truck-loads of yamadori!

Unfortunately, none of my pictures truly illustrate the scope, scale, and quality of the material tucked away in Willowbrook at the Hidden Gardens.

IMG_1235.JPGIMG_1236.JPGIMG_1237.JPG

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I believe 4-5 people have agreed this years stock was way better than last year!

And last years stock was killer!

Sorce

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Hidden Garden has an amazing collection of Conifers & a rare opportunity to see 300 yamadori decidious trees!

The Conifers range from Rocky Mountain Junipers, lodge pole, pines and much more!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1524490496199.jpg
    FB_IMG_1524490496199.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 43
  • FB_IMG_1524490490709.jpg
    FB_IMG_1524490490709.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 43
  • FB_IMG_1524490509820.jpg
    FB_IMG_1524490509820.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 41
  • FB_IMG_1523382211224.jpg
    FB_IMG_1523382211224.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 39

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I like Hidden Gardens, even though it is 60 miles from me, I'm in the far northern burbs.

Key items, - HG is the only place I can think of where you can buy akadama, kanuma, pumice, fir bark, and a dozen other substrate components, all in big enough bags that you can repot more than 5 trees. And these things are in stock year round.

This is essential, I have had problems in the past finding a reliable source of media.

I like the trees, but I already have too many, so I just window shop.

adamjcode

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The Hidden Gardens is an excellent place. I live in Chicago and do not know of anything close to comparable. In addition to the 100s of incredible trees, they have a solid roster of professionals teaching workshops, nearly every weekend.

adamjcode

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I was there Sunday. Unimpressed and way overpriced...imo
Now I'm curious: is there a place near us in Chicago that is more impressive and/or better priced? Not trying to be provocative, just wondering what place(s) I may be missing? Thanks!

fore

Omono
Reaction score
No, That's about it. I've been buying from Randy Knight directly and have them brought out east on Ryan's annual Truck run.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
BC Bonsai ( http://www.bcbonsai.com/ ) has some great field grown stuff for great prices. Their growing grounds are about 30 miles south of Rockford. The have lots growing in the ground, and their prices are great if you're willing to dig your own.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Now I'm curious: is there a place near us in Chicago that is more impressive and/or better priced? Not trying to be provocative, just wondering what place(s) I may be missing? Thanks!

Jennifer is Doing, or may have already done a Demo at Gethsamane.....

Their rather "typical" garden center bonsai and supplies may be getting better if this continues.

There sure should be a city resource.

Sorce

Top Bottom