Chicago Hardy Fig: Trouble or Autumn?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I found powdery mildew this tree last week, and have since sprayed its entire surface and the top of the soul with 1:1 peroxide solution twice to treat it.
However in the past few days every leaf has begun to discolor with dark splotches.
IMG_20220927_085350_1.jpg
IMG_20220927_085306_0.jpg

This is my first of these, and they're supposed to be winter hardy in my zone. Temps have been low 80sF during the day to mid to low 50sF at night. None of my tropicals are having issues yet, but will be going inside as soon as I have lights set up for them.

Is this a continued mildew infection, something new, or is this just what it looks like as it goes dormant?
Thanks.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Normal wear and tear accumulating. Some cell collapse is causing the discoloration, normal with cool nights below 55 F. Nothing to worry about. As it gets colder the normal "deciduous" tree process will occur. Ficus tend to go green to brown more than maples or elm. The "yellows" phase is pretty short.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Normal wear and tear accumulating. Some cell collapse is causing the discoloration, normal with cool nights below 55 F. Nothing to worry about. As it gets colder the normal "deciduous" tree process will occur. Ficus tend to go green to brown more than maples or elm. The "yellows" phase is pretty short.
Thanks. That's what I was hoping to hear.
Like I said, new to this species and just treated for mildew, so I was a bit worried.

I do have a cutting in my greenhouse, but might try a couple more just incase wintering over doesn't go well. It's already cooler this fall than the past several years, so winter may turn out to be rough.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine are just now starting to turn yellow.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've had one or two yellow so far, and freezing nighttime temps all week, so expecting the rest to follow soon.

Top Bottom