Chicago Hitting The 30’s

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I was hoping to have another week, but looks like I'll be hauling everything in tonight.:(

Traken

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Out of curiosity, do the hardy trees need protection yet, or is that more once the cold becomes consistent? I was under the impression that they don't really need to be garaged or what have you until we started getting down to like the 20s fairly often. The last thing I want to do is murder my trees out of a desire to get them a hair more outside time, though. heh

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Out of curiosity, do the hardy trees need protection yet, or is that more once the cold becomes consistent? I was under the impression that they don't really need to be garaged or what have you until we started getting down to like the 20s fairly often. The last thing I want to do is murder my trees out of a desire to get them a hair more outside time, though. heh

It is more just get them on the ground and off the benches at this time.

It was 85 yesterday and just the tempature swings are a concern for plants that are new to you.

I bought a Japanese Larch this August at the Midwest Bonsai Socity show that is from Zone 6 so I will be cautious and protect the roots.

Traken

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It is more just get them on the ground and off the benches at this time.

It was 85 yesterday and just the tempature swings are a concern for plants that are new to you.

I bought a Japanese Larch this August at the Midwest Bonsai Socity show that is from Zone 6 so I will be cautious and protect the roots.

Gotcha. That's kinda what I figured, but having it clarified makes me feel a lot more secure. Heh. Thanks.

And not to hijack, but I wish I could have made the Midwest show. We had other stuff going on, but I think next year I have to go. </hijack>

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
My trees get moved in 3 shifts.

First the Tropicals must come in. In the hours just before dawn, the sun coming up causes a mixing and very cold air that is aloft can come down for a few minutes to an hour or two and burn the leaves off your tropicals. So while the weather station might report an overnight low of 35 F (+2 C) below freezing air may pour down and leave your tropicals with frostbite. You have seen this if you see frost in the open areas and no frost under the trees in the yard. So my orchid come in at 40 F.

Second the sub-tropical trees that are hardy into the 20's F I leave out to receive a few frosts, trees like pomegranates, gardenia, satsuki azalea. These are hardy through +25 F. I move them to their winter locations before we regularly get to +23 F.

The 3rd wave is anything that is not quite hardy in zone 5, like JM, JBP and other not fully hardy trees. These I do as Lance does, bring them in by Thanksgiving. Trick is to get them in before their pots freeze solidly to the ground or the bench.

The 4th group are my favorites, because I don't have to do much with them. Bur Oak, Jack Pine, Amelanchier, blueberries, eastern hemlock, yew, crab apples, Elaeagnus umbellata and junipers are all removed from the bench, and set on the ground where they remain all winter. Some I do not even move to the shade. Just leave them lay. If I protect any of these, it is only the ones in expensive bonsai pots, and then giving temperature protection is simply to protect the pot, not the tree. This group is fully winter hardy.

So phase 1 begins.

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yep the time has come to cram as many plants as I can into a small space. This area is currently being filled and it's not the only one. I'll find out just how bad of an idea it is to have several passiflora inside mixed in with everything else. They're still small at the moment but I know it won't last all winter.
20181010_154104.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yep the time has come to cram as many plants as I can into a small space. This area is currently being filled and it's not the only one. I'll find out just how bad of an idea it is to have several passiflora inside mixed in with everything else. They're still small at the moment but I know it won't last all winter.
View attachment 212888
Keep an eye on things, we have a possible hard freeze coming on Monday night. I don't like hard freeze before the first frost! Goodbye fall color...I'll probably storage everything for that night.

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Keep an eye on things, we have a possible hard freeze coming on Monday night. I don't like hard freeze before the first frost! Goodbye fall color...I'll probably storage everything for that night.
Yep I'm watching the weather. It looks like tomorrow starts the cold weather. And to think it was 90 degrees 2 days ago.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cleaning out my small indoor room tomorrow for an ever enlarging group of tropicals to come in.
I swore off buying anything not zone 5 hardy but need to swear off propagation...

Top Bottom