Chikugo-En nursery burglary.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There’s no need to make this about generations or religion or politics. Stealing is as old as humankind. It is about greed, plain and simple.

These thieves need to be held accountable. And made an example of. I’d bet they would think twice next time if they are forced to sit in a prison cell for a few years to think about what they’ve done.

Burglary is a crime with implications beyond just loss of property. It is a severe invasion of privacy. And it is fairly common for burglaries to go south, with someone - often an innocent victim - ending up injured or dead.

I have no idea if this is the case, but if the police are not taking this seriously because it’s “just bonsai trees” then I would recommend hiring a law firm and private investigator.
I agree that Attributing thefts like this to degeneration of society, social media and loosening morals is a silly and pointless... Thieves are thieves. They steal shit. They're been stealing shit for thousands of years. I would be extremely surprised if these a-holes didn't case the place IN PERSON before taking stuff. Thieves do that, have for a very long time, regardless of the current moral climate.

FWIW, Bonsai thefts have been happening for a very long time. The same social media that some hate has actually made it harder for tree thieves. There have been successful actions based on social media for the return of trees. These thefts are also more widely known BECAUSE of social media. Before, no one really heard about thefts widely because these kinds of thefts were "local."

Those of us who did bonsai before the Internet learned long ago that you follow basic security rules --don't talk about your trees with people you don't know, don't put them in areas where the public can see them, use basic security -- fences, barking dogs, etc.

Unfortunately, bonsai sellers have to get their trees visible to the public widely. That makes their business vulnerable. Solutions for burglary aren't easy. Thefts over $950 in California are classified as grand larceny--a felony. Six months in jail and $1,000 fine for first offense Repeated thefts are multiple years. Law enforcement needs help in finding these a-holes. Stick to the script, help with that.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those of us who did bonsai before the Internet learned long ago that you follow basic security rules --don't talk about your trees with people you don't know, don't put them in areas where the public can see them, use basic security -- fences, barking dogs, etc.
This is true but and guess I was just lucky, and stupid. When I had bonsai in the 70s in a very public house in Falls Church, I talked about bonsai to everyone. Most were in the backyard of this un-fenced property, though I always had a couple on the front porch for the mail man to trip over. Front door was about 30 feet from the street. I was younger and less savvy about these things.
The only problem I ever had was my large barking Labrador Retriever who occasionally ate a plant if I left him alone too long.
But you know, all kidding aside, things have changed even though "same as it ever was" is about my most popular catch phrase. As an example. I road my bike to the theater, bought my 35 cent children's admission ticket, dropped the bike next to the theater with the other bikes, watched the movie, got back on my bike and rode home.
Our house on a street in Fairfax was never locked. We went to upstate NY for 2 weeks and my parents never locked the house. Were they stupid? I don't know, but we never had a problem. I think the main thing was that back in those still very imperfect days of the 50s and 60s people you knew, neighbors and what not, had your back.
Things change.... always have and always will. Some for good and some for bad. We,re just here for the ride, and I hope yours is a good one with just enough dark so that the light shines brighter.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is true but and guess I was just lucky, and stupid. When I had bonsai in the 70s in a very public house in Falls Church, I talked about bonsai to everyone. Most were in the backyard of this un-fenced property, though I always had a couple on the front porch for the mail man to trip over. Front door was about 30 feet from the street. I was younger and less savvy about these things.
The only problem I ever had was my large barking Labrador Retriever who occasionally ate a plant if I left him alone too long.
But you know, all kidding aside, things have changed even though "same as it ever was" is about my most popular catch phrase. As an example. I road my bike to the theater, bought my 35 cent children's admission ticket, dropped the bike next to the theater with the other bikes, watched the movie, got back on my bike and rode home.
Our house on a street in Fairfax was never locked. We went to upstate NY for 2 weeks and my parents never locked the house. Were they stupid? I don't know, but we never had a problem. I think the main thing was that back in those still very imperfect days of the 50s and 60s people you knew, neighbors and what not, had your back.
Things change.... always have and always will. Some for good and some for bad. We,re just here for the ride, and I hope yours is a good one with just enough dark so that the light shines brighter.
Falls Church was not as heavily populated then. More people, more problems. I grew up rural in a few states in the 60's Had bikes/my dad's car was stolen when we lived in rural Va. in 1973 or so,, as well as had stuff vandalized, etc. The "Good Old Days" are never what people remember...Shit happens. You got lucky.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Falls Church was not as heavily populated then. More people, more problems. I grew up rural in a few states in the 60's Had bikes/my dad's car was stolen when we lived in rural Va. in 1973 or so,, as well as had stuff vandalized, etc. The "Good Old Days" are never what people remember...Shit happens. You got lucky.
Goes without saying.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sad, Infuriating, Frustrating

7867414C-4190-40B9-901D-C235B55D03A6.jpeg

But a glimmer of positive hope and good vibes:

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When these people get caught their going to have a hard time explaining they're locked up for steeling bonsai.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You can't steal something as identifiable as these and not have a destination already in place. This doesn't make sense. There's a piece missing from the puzzle.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You can't steal something as identifiable as these and not have a destination already in place. This doesn't make sense. There's a piece missing from the puzzle.
If I had to guess, they are planning to take them outside of the country and are trying to max out a shipment. Shipping container from LA to Vietnam is about 8 days, and I don't believe Vietnam has import restrictions on plants. Shipping is backed up INTO the US - but not outbound, where it is actually expedited because they are trying to get containers back to Asia. That is why a large number of high volume thefts in a short space of time, for products that would be recognizable here in the states. Fill up the container, pay to have a trucking company pick it up and take it to the port. Export paperwork for "ornamental plants" to Vietnam... current cost is $514.80 shipping for a 20 foot container, and only $748 for a full 40 foot container.

Just a thought. I obviously have no real clue what the thieves are planning on doing.

Last edited:

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It's really important that good photos of each tree be published on a central website somewhere, other than fakebook. It needs to be an organized, orderly, easy way to find a given species. If it is not made difficult to sell stolen trees, this will just get worse.

Ruddigger

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I would be extremely surprised if these a-holes didn't case the place IN PERSON before taking stuff. Thieves do that, have for a very long time, regardless of the current moral climate.

Normally I’d agree, but Chikugo-en has been closed to the public since covid started. They post some plants for sale on social media, but thats about it.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If I had to guess, they are planning to take them outside of the country and are trying to max out a shipment. Shipping container from LA to Vietnam is about 8 days, and I don't believe Vietnam has import restrictions on plants. Shipping is backed up INTO the US - but not outbound, where it is actually expedited because they are trying to get containers back to Asia. That is why a large number of high volume thefts in a short space of time, for products that would be recognizable here in the states. Fill up the container, pay to have a trucking company pick it up and take it to the port. Export paperwork for "ornamental plants" to Vietnam... current cost is $514.80 shipping for a 20 foot container, and only $748 for a full 40 foot container.

Just a thought. I obviously have no real clue what the thieves are planning on doing.
This was my thought as well. Lots of trees being stolen so close together from a close knit community makes me think these are going somewhere far away. The thieves deserve their hands chopped off or worse.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I had been thinking similar. I think China is likely the final destination for these trees. There's a market for high-end developed trees in China. The Japanese have been selling trees there. These guys may be too. Vietnam entry, then on to China.

casun

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Normally I’d agree, but Chikugo-en has been closed to the public since covid started. They post some plants for sale on social media, but thats about it.
My understanding is they allow people in by appointment only. Although I’d be surprised the thief made an appointment to visit, walked around to take a visual inventory, then returned to steal things, it is possible.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's really important that good photos of each tree be published on a central website somewhere, other than fakebook. It needs to be an organized, orderly, easy way to find a given species. If it is not made difficult to sell stolen trees, this will just get worse.
I agree. I don't Insta, but I have FB. Shared posts from both places don't show up here. That's a shame, as the audience here is spread globally.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My understanding is they allow people in by appointment only. Although I’d be surprised the thief made an appointment to visit, walked around to take a visual inventory, then returned to steal things, it is possible.
Why would you be surprised? That kind of thing is standard operating procedure for thieves in the "real world" outside bonsai.

casun

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Why would you be surprised? That kind of thing is standard operating procedure for thieves in the "real world" outside bonsai.
It just seems like next level boldness. If I were a thief I’d avoid a target that required me to first walk around an otherwise empty nursery with the owner. It seems like there would be easier targets.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It just seems like next level boldness. If I were a thief I’d avoid a target that required me to first walk around an otherwise empty nursery with the owner. It seems like there would be easier targets.
It's next-level thievery. These aren't the knuckle-dragging, take-it-because-I-need-drug-money types. They're apparently organized and targeting specific businesses for specific kinds of loot.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

I was thinking something similar as well. The trees at Eastern leaf and Chikugo-En were definitely stolen by professional thieves that new exactly what they were doing. They got through security systems, barbed wire fences and cherry picked some of the best trees. The thieves were most likely hired by someone, and were not members of the bonsai community. The thieves were videotaped throwing trees over the fence, bonsai collectors would never do that, because often times the pottery is worth more than the actual tree itself, lol! These trees could have ended up in private collections, or possibly were shipped outside the U.S. Either way, I think the culprits are in it for the money, not the trees.

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

I visited and bought a tree in July. I called Gary ahead of time and gave him a general budget and size guidelines and he brought several candidates out on a cart for me to look at. I never actually stepped foot inside the nursery. If my experience is Chikugo-en's pandemic SOP and the thieves are targeting individual trees, then they've been in the bonsai community for a while

Top Bottom