Chikugo-En nursery burglary.

Reaction score
The nursery was burglarized on September 26th between the hours of 3-5am. “Many trees were taken, such as black pines, shimpaku and many others.”

This is an active investigation with Gardena PD. Anyone with information can contact the nursery at 310-323-4011.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Oh no...

One wonders, after a while, if bonsai nurseries are going to simply cease to exist. Gary had tall fences with barbed wire, and a big mean guard dog.

Such a shame.
Prob not with the way things are going. Sad as you said

I was walking per usual at publicly funded university yesterday at 6pm, aftera busy day on the books.. lots of local people walking their dogs after work and kids practicing soccer in the fields, and ultimate Frisbee. Well, we witnessed two professional speakers setup w 5 students on microphone for what looked like open mic night or something. I was 1,000 feet away from them when all of a sudden we all heard someone grab the mic and sing (I don't know what it was) w the most vulgar lyrics. In 2 minutes about 10 instance of the f word, b word, and horribly, the n word. I am big on free speech but had a problem w the children playing soccer behind them and Frisbee. It was loud and embarrassing and had I met my sister and nephew for a walk, or had a daughter with me (having kid soon) it would have been a problem. Just losing a lot of faith in society. Working hard doing things right,and funding the college w my efforts. I wonder what would happen if I or a different student had projected those words on loudspeakers across campus, if the college I fund would protect my free speech then. Very discouraging society and economy I think now, concerning. Catcher in the rye

I hope the person who had their property stolen gets their trees back, or Justice is served to the perps

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
There was a time not too long ago when a lot of the stuff that's in-your-face today was illegal and punished. It used to be called a civilized society. A society is a group of people who agree to live according to a set of rules & standards acceptable to all. No rules, no standards, no society.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Really unfortunate to hear. Not a great neighborhood, but like BNut said, it’s a relative fortress with a huge American Akita, IIRC.
Hope they recover the trees, and hope they didn’t lose any of their iconic ones.

Ruddigger

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
From the security footage it looks like it was probably the same guy that recently broke into Eastern Leaf.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I truly feel for the nursery. That's one of the main reasons I recently got a PO Box. I use that address now on my shipping labels.

It's getting harder and harder to trust people.

casun

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Damn. Terrible news. I picked some things up “curbside” about a month ago. What a nice family. I hope they’re able to recover.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is a sick and sad time in the land of the free and home of the brave with now a crop of cowards, thieves and destroyers seeming to proliferate🤬👺! These deserve swift retribution and many hopes for recovery of undamaged trees to rightful home.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Time for the Brave to shoot the slightly too free.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce
Not too free exactly....Liberty is not the freedom to do as one pleases whenever. Liberty is the freedom to do what one ought to do (under the "self evident" laws of nature and nature's God").
Today we have people who confuse Liberty with licentiousness.
You're not free to steal. Not in my country. Not in God's country.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Organized thievery fueled by social media exposure FWIW, "guard dogs" unless specifically trained, are highly unreliable to protect much of anything. People have big illusions about what their dog will do when it runs across an intruder. Most won't do anything, particularly if the intruder is "dog savvy" and doesn't run, has treats, etc.

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It might be helpful to post the photos of the stolen trees here as well, I don't use Insta and I know a lot of others in the bonsai community don't either (one of the reasons is this kind of thing).

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This is getting ridiculous. If they have photos of the perpetrators’ vehicles, hopefully the authorities will be able to bring these serial thieves to justice. I would think this would be a pretty high level felony given the burglary and high value of stolen items.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Not too free exactly....Liberty is not the freedom to do as one pleases whenever. Liberty is the freedom to do what one ought to do (under the "self evident" laws of nature and nature's God").
have to be careful out there, for sure. i hear you though. people wont forget, despite what media and elite try to tell us

this one messed w me bad. his wife and grandchildren. over a 32" flatscreen

try to stay positive everyone, there are good people and some with values left out there, waiting for the call

last week in chicago

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Organized thievery fueled by social media exposure FWIW, "guard dogs" unless specifically trained, are highly unreliable to protect much of anything. People have big illusions about what their dog will do when it runs across an intruder. Most won't do anything, particularly if the intruder is "dog savvy" and doesn't run, has treats, etc.
true. i remember seeing a home breakin and the losers brought dog bisquits with them

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I've been learning more about Machiavelli.

Seems the Truest Concept.

Thug Life!

Sorce

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These continued actions are very very sad. It is becoming much harder to hold the high degree of optimism I have held for humankind for the past several decades. The lowlife's who commit these atrocities make us all very angry because what they do is more than wrong, it is hurtful. The line between shoplifting a pack of bubble gum and destroying peoples lives has become blurred. Wouldn't it be great if Karma had no lag time.
Yet the really scary thing to me, is the reactions of those angered which far surpasses the anger of those hurt. This certainly fuels the craziness. I guess we all like to believe that "our generation" knows the answers. That we leave the world to less capable hands. We seem unaware that terms like morally corrupt and institutions like religion are human made constructs. All of the "rules" set forth by all the institutions are in defiance of one another when it can all be stated in a simple Golden Rule that everyone already knows, yet I guess we don't have enough faith in to let it be our mantra. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."
Humankind need a reset and we likely will have one if history is correct. And unless it is hidden, isn't history by its very nature always correct? But if I continue this train of thought, I become the zealot so that is my final words on that subject.

My heart breaks for this family, whom I don't know, 😞 who has experienced such a great emotional loss that this community fully empathizes with.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
There’s no need to make this about generations or religion or politics. Stealing is as old as humankind. It is about greed, plain and simple.

These thieves need to be held accountable. And made an example of. I’d bet they would think twice next time if they are forced to sit in a prison cell for a few years to think about what they’ve done.

Burglary is a crime with implications beyond just loss of property. It is a severe invasion of privacy. And it is fairly common for burglaries to go south, with someone - often an innocent victim - ending up injured or dead.

I have no idea if this is the case, but if the police are not taking this seriously because it’s “just bonsai trees” then I would recommend hiring a law firm and private investigator.

Top Bottom