Chimonanthus Praecox - Fresh Winter Sweet / Japanese Allspice

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
So today I got this plant as a self chosen birthday gift from my daughter. I went to a local nursery and got enticed by this Fresh Winter Sweet. It was something I’ve never heard of before but a quick google showed a couple of nice possibilities for bonsai. Lovely fragranced flowers on bare branches in late winter, apparently.

I haven't really got any clumps or anything of this type but I am a sucker for something different so its what I came away with. Really, I was wondering if anyone has any info or care tips for this species as I can’t find too much on bonsai care, particularly root sensitivity and repotting information. I presume it’s best to wait for flowers before repotting or major pruning? Cheers.
921CF0A9-EBAB-4AFC-8C55-3542F23E986D.jpeg
F5496A41-8E0C-4274-B483-45315839A767.jpeg

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
@Wires_Guy_wires @Lutonian @AJL @R3x @Leo in N E Illinois do any of you (or anyone else) know much about this species? I linked you all due to input in threads about them, but I can’t find much on their temperament or hardiness for root work. Really I’m just wondering about bare rooting a pot bound plant with drastic root reduction, or should it be done in stages? The pruning I’d probably normally wait til after flowering, but on the tree I bought there’s only a couple of flower buds, probably due to being pot bound, so I am possibly thinking of doing so hard pruning before spring buds start to swell in hopes of popping in advantageous places. Any thoughts would be most welcome, thanks.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have grown these from free bonus seed a few times and neglected them.
And I'm serious when I say they can take a lot of damage, drought and bad treatment.
I've had the apex die a couple times, and they bounced back until I got rid of them entirely after a three month drought.

They're part of the legume family if memory serves me right. Mine never got old enough to flower.

From my very limited experience I can say that they need a node to bud from, so keep at least two or three to counter for some dieback. Spring repotting is safer than summer, and that's about all I can tell about them.

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
never had one as bonsai, my grandad had one planted in the boarder next to a forsythia and treated both the same. Chimonanthus is in the order Laurales.

I have attached a link to RHS and other concerning Chimonanthus.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I literally just cut a few of these coz my wife bought loads to decorate the house for Chinese new year, so it makes bonsai yeh?
I wanna try too7DA54E46-AF98-4A5E-88E1-5B9B1A5AAA50.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom