Chinensis Backfire:

Graeshadowe

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a chinensis that I tried to slip pot to expose the nebari last spring.
Well, instead of exposing the nebari, it seems the roots go much higher than normal.
How can I get rid of these finer roots that go so high up?
I plan to repot in a couple of months, and not quite sure how I should proceed.
Thanks, in advance for any pointers. 20211126_094652.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220119-101539_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220119-101539_Gallery.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 49

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Are there ANY larger roots in there to become nebari? Dig around to see. If there are and you like them, you just cut back all that fine stuff.
Those fine roots, if they've been exposed for a while, are very possibly all dead anyway.

If you don't find anything you like in that knot, I'd cut out anything that comes off the trunk above the current soil level (Where the hell would that be an that thing anyway?) and repot into a large pot or basket with very coarse soil. The larger substrate particles will encourage thicker root growth to form real nebari. You may find yourself needing to water much more often, so heads up.

Graeshadowe

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are there ANY larger roots in there to become nebari? Dig around to see. If there are and you like them, you just cut back all that fine stuff.
Those fine roots, if they've been exposed for a while, are very possibly all dead anyway.

If you don't find anything you like in that knot, I'd cut out anything that comes off the trunk above the current soil level (Where the hell would that be an that thing anyway?) and repot into a large pot or basket with very coarse soil. The larger substrate particles will encourage thicker root growth to form real nebari. You may find yourself needing to water much more often, so heads up.
I was thinking along those lines; the pot was supposed to be a slip pot for the upper layer of soil to wash away.
But-it backfired on me 😏😁
As soon as repot season hits, I'll be getting her in more respectable surroundings.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
I have a chinensis that I tried to slip pot to expose the nebari last spring.
Well, instead of exposing the nebari, it seems the roots go much higher than normal.
How can I get rid of these finer roots that go so high up?
I plan to repot in a couple of months, and not quite sure how I should proceed.
Thanks, in advance for any pointers. View attachment 416697
Like that pot mate 😎

Graeshadowe

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Like that pot mate 😎
Thanks, at one time, it was a small oak water barrel that I used in 19th century reenactments.
Since I'm not into that anymore, I cut it in half and the other end is home to a Colorado Blue Spruce that seems quite happy.

Attachments

• 20211205_085114.jpg
    20211205_085114.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 41

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

What he said. Often in nursery pots lower circling roots will grow up into free unused soil at top. Removal is needed and usually not harmful unless all roots below dead☺️. Uh, and if repotting do NOTHING else to tree this year.. Allow AT LEAST one year, one whole year for recovery. Better 2 or 3 years.

Last edited:

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
With trees like this I try to rake out the finer roots to get down to the real roots below then trim off excess roots depending what you find.
There's no problem cutting off up to half the roots of J. chinensis so don't worry about breaking some of having to cut some off as you work down to the real roots.

Top Bottom