Chinese bird plum black spots (sageretia)

Lelia2112

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got a Chinese bird plum about a week ago and it's been showing black spots for several days. I read online that these trees drop leaves seasonally, but I'm not sure if this is due to that or something else. I water it when the pot gets light and the soil looks dry, I was told they should stay lightly moist but not soaked. I know it's in regular soil, I have bonsai mix but I'm worried that reporting now would kill it. Can anyone help?

Attachments

• 20181004_225025.jpg
    20181004_225025.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 22

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I saw your post in the other thread, give people time to respond. Even though there are thousands of readers at any moment, you won't get a good response until someone with experience with Sageretia and experience with black spots shows up. It is appropriate to wait 5 days to a week before complaining that nobody is responding.

I've had Sageretia, found it not to be a very good species in my conditions and have not tried to grow another one in over 20 years. But I am up north, north of Chicago, and Sageretia would necessarily be an indoor tree in my area.

The only black spot I have had any experience with has been on members of the rose family, which includes apples and quince. I also had experience with tar spot on maples in my landscape. Sageretia is related to Buckthorn family, so I don't know which species of fungi could be causing your black spots.

Consider using a rose spray labeled for black spot. If it does not say ''black spot'' as a target disease, on the label it will not work. Follow directions.

Lelia2112

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you, and I'm sorry, I was just freaking out. Ill get a fungicide today

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Is it growing inside? Also you could add your climate-zone to your profile for future encounters, so we know what where we are talking about.

Lelia2112

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is inside, I'll be putting it out for the summer but the winters here are too cold. I'm in zone 7. I've reported the plant and sprayed it with daconil. Let's hope for the best and thank you all so much

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Lelia2112 ,

this may help - in China - the sageretia - Sparrow's Plum is
a zone 7 shrub.
So in a pot it will be less resistant to cold, but you still have to
factor in for cold.
Good Day
Anthony

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Sageretias are pretty tricky to grow, if you have it in the original crappy soil probably it will die very soon

Top Bottom