Chinese Bird Plum Problems

Goleh

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Im new to Bonsai Nut and new to the world of Bonsai.

I have a Chinese Bird Plum (Sageretia Theezan) bonsai. Ive had it for a couple months now and I have noticed a couple of possible problems. Firstly, when I brought home my bonsai, the leaves were turning yellow or burning from the tip and falling off one by one. I knew that it was probably getting used to the new environment (my living room window). But a couple of months have gone by now, and my bonsai is still losing its leaves. I should mention that there are a lot of new growths and that only the older leaves are falling off. In addition to the leaves falling, the trunk has a lot of green mold or something spreading all over and it, and has also developed spots where it is orange and stripy. Is this something i should be concerned about, or should i just try to clean off the gritty green stuff with a brush? And my last concern has to do with the roots of my bonsai, they are visibly coming out of the bottom of the pot and dying. I’m thinking I will need to repot my bonsai soon so I can cut off the rotting roots.

I also noticed some spider mites and flies in the soil, but I believe that was due to overwatering every 2 days. Now I water my bonsai every 4 to 5 days and those bugs have disappeared mostly .

I don't give it anything but water, so could all of these problems be because I don't feed it?

I'll attach a couple of images, I would really appreciate it if you guys could give me some advice!

photo 1-4.JPG photo 1-6.JPG photo 2-6.JPG photo 4.JPG photo 5.JPG photo-3.JPG

Last edited:

Goleh

Seedling
Reaction score
Just found a centipede in my soil. Does that mean I definitely need to change the soil?

BonsaiDan

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'm pretty new to Bonsai myself, and mainly clicked on this thread because I too just acquired a Bird Plum.. I'd probably wait until you get some advice from some more experienced members, but I've been reading a little bit on common pests and thought this fit a few symptoms you are seeing http://www.mellobonsai.com/care/Bonsai-aphids.aspx .

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Where do you live?it's summer in most areas,the tree needs to be outdoors in summer,brought indoors in the fall,if its getting direct sunlight in a windowsill that will burn the leaves of your tree,the glass gives a magnifying glass effect to your tree.Watch over watering,water only when it needs it,not every four days,how do you know there spider mites?

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If it were mine I would put it outside in partial shade till it recovers,and learn how to water properly,do not fertilize till its healthy,the window sill and your watering routine are the cause of your problems,if you need to spray a insecticide use neem oil.

Goleh

Seedling
Reaction score
Where do you live?it's summer in most areas,the tree needs to be outdoors in summer,brought indoors in the fall,if its getting direct sunlight in a windowsill that will burn the leaves of your tree,the glass gives a magnifying glass effect to your tree.Watch over watering,water only when it needs it,not every four days,how do you know there spider mites?

I live in Maryland. I did place my bonsai outside a couple of times, I did read that this type of tree can be placed outside after the temperature doesn't dip below 50 degrees. But every time I put it outside (in the shade) for a while in humid temperatures I would come back to see the leaves were wilting so I would immediately bring it back in.

Im actually surprised that my watering is still an issue. I only give it water when the soil becomes light brown (I dig into the soil a little to see if the soil is dry beyond the top layer), maybe the soil around the roots is still wet when I water it and thats what is causing the root decay.

And about the spider mites, when i flip over some of the soil i sometimes see little red spider things crawling around. I researched to see what they were and spider mites came up so i assumed it was them. The leaves of my bonsai are nice and green and they don't seem to have any problems, other than the few burned and yellowing leaves.

Goleh

Seedling
Reaction score
I would not mess with changing soil right now.

Yea, maybe after everything else stabilizes, and if its not too late to do so. Its just I noticed the roots coming out of the bottom so I thought that it was needing to get its roots trimmed. And then I got really worried when the visible roots started to dry up. But thanks for all the advice! I really appreciate it, its nice to have a place where I can get help for my specific bonsai.

Goleh

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm pretty new to Bonsai myself, and mainly clicked on this thread because I too just acquired a Bird Plum.. I'd probably wait until you get some advice from some more experienced members, but I've been reading a little bit on common pests and thought this fit a few symptoms you are seeing http://www.mellobonsai.com/care/Bonsai-aphids.aspx .

Believe me, Ive searched high and low and continue to do so when I see something out of the ordinary. And I'm pretty sure I have actually stumbled upon that website myself! But thanks for the help ^.^

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sounds\looks like overwatering for sure.

There may be a pocket of nasty in the core that's staying wet. The roots out the bottom don't mean much for health, that could be the I my place roots CAN grow anymore.

Keep it outside out of the rain, water on your schedule. Less I reckon.

Sorce

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sageretia, is an outdoor shrub rated to zone 7 in China. Used as a hedging material.

When the leaves get old, they brown and then fall. On a HEALTHY shrub, the Chinese defoliate, for new leaves.
The bark cracks off and shows a beautiful orange underneath, happens almost yearly, at least once,

Needs soil that drains well, but retains moisture.

Takes two years to need repotting if growing well, look for lots of extensions, this is a vining shrub.

Wound over 1/4 " do not heal, so try and make your cuts on small branches.

*****I would suggest you take at least 10 cuttings and practice on them, not the mother plant.***

When healthy, the shrub handles full sun, but I don't know what it will take n your side andwith temperatures over 90 deg.F.

This is not a tropical plant, so please don't treat it as an indoor plant. Perhaps an unheated garage. Look up information on zone 7. Lows and highs for China, then factor in for the US.

Does not not need a lot of fertiliser, perhaps 1/2 or 1/3 strength , once every two weeks, into moist soil.

No pests on our side noted.

Sageretia makes an exceptional Bonsai, has it all, roots, bark, trunk, fine leaves and fine branchlets.
There about 6 different cultivars, some feature branching, or trunk and little branching, and so on.
Give it a good go.
Good Day

sag other.jpg

Goleh

Seedling
Reaction score
Sageretia, is an outdoor shrub rated to zone 7 in China. Used as a hedging material.

When the leaves get old, they brown and then fall. On a HEALTHY shrub, the Chinese defoliate, for new leaves.
The bark cracks off and shows a beautiful orange underneath, happens almost yearly, at least once,

Needs soil that drains well, but retains moisture.

Takes two years to need repotting if growing well, look for lots of extensions, this is a vining shrub.

Wound over 1/4 " do not heal, so try and make your cuts on small branches.

*****I would suggest you take at least 10 cuttings and practice on them, not the mother plant.***

When healthy, the shrub handles full sun, but I don't know what it will take n your side andwith temperatures over 90 deg.F.

This is not a tropical plant, so please don't treat it as an indoor plant. Perhaps an unheated garage. Look up information on zone 7. Lows and highs for China, then factor in for the US.

Does not not need a lot of fertiliser, perhaps 1/2 or 1/3 strength , once every two weeks, into moist soil.

No pests on our side noted.

Sageretia makes an exceptional Bonsai, has it all, roots, bark, trunk, fine leaves and fine branchlets.
There about 6 different cultivars, some feature branching, or trunk and little branching, and so on.
Give it a good go.
Good Day

View attachment 76864

Hi Anthony, thanks for all the useful information! I actually tried taking my bonsai outside today (temperature: 80 degrees fahrenheit, humidity: 46%) and after checking on it 20 min later, I found that all the new growths where bending over and wilting. Ive tried taking it outside before but the same thing keeps happening. Ive read that the Chinese Bird Plum thrives in zone 8 and higher and that anything below that should be kept inside (I live in zone 7) (http://www.bonsaitoolchest.com/download/chinese_sweet_plum.pdf). Do you think its because of the temperature change from being inside and then taken outside thats making the new growths droop over? Would it eventually get used to it if I just left it outside in the shade? I guess i could try to make the change go smoother if i first transfer it into the garage and then outside. What do you think?

Here are a few picture of how it looks right now after I brought it back inside. Before, all the new growths were drooped over and only when I brought it in did they recover.
photo 1-7.JPG photo 2-7.JPG

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Martha Meehan grows thousands of tropical n sub tropical trees for bonsai,she use to have a small group that meets at valley view farms the first Saturday of each month,I believe it's 9:00 am,call to be sure,if your that worried bring the tree to her,but please leave the tree outdoors,hope this helps.

Goleh

Seedling
Reaction score
Martha Meehan grows thousands of tropical n sub tropical trees for bonsai,she use to have a small group that meets at valley view farms the first Saturday of each month,I believe it's 9:00 am,call to be sure,if your that worried bring the tree to her,but please leave the tree outdoors,hope this helps.

I remember finding their website and wishing they were a little closer to me! I live around Olney so its like an hour away from me.

So do you recommend I just leave it outside even when the new growths are totally drooped over? Ill try placing it outside again tomorrow morning.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes,partial sun,buy a spray bottle and mist foilage in the afternoon after a hot day,one way I can tell when a tree needs water is after watering lift the pot n get a feel for how heavy it is,when the pot is drying out,the pot will be much lighter,just because the top soil is dry,does not mean the soil below is..Put it in a position where it gets morning sun,partial shade in afternoon for now.Hope this helps some.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I believe the Baltimore bonsai club meets in ellicot city.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Goleh,

try dappled shade for a week.
Please take cuttings.
As autumn approaches, use the cuttings to test for temperature limits.

Normally cuttings will get to about 12 to 18" in a few weeks on our side.
Cuttings will also allow you to develop a soil mix.
Best of growing.
Good Day
Anthony

Top Bottom