Chinese black pine? Omono

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
I picked this up yesterday because i want to experiment with making a omono or niwaki.... i like the look of large pine bonsai.

I have not been able to find any info about this type of pine. The guy i bought it from said something about the japanese version split from this a long time ago?
He said they grow very quick and would suit niwaki.

I was thinking i may wire it and compress the bends and let it grow like crazy for years. Or just leave it like it is and let grow.

Any feedback, info or advice would be welcome

20210605_112310.jpg20210605_112326.jpg20210605_112335.jpg20210605_112340.jpg

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It's the exact same tree as a Japanese black pine, it's just from china. Common names, what are ya gonna do?

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
It's the exact same tree as a Japanese black pine, it's just from china. Common names, what are ya gonna do?
I was thinking that, however the needles are slightly diferent they are "softer", that could be an age thing? Its not a concern for me, i was just curious.

For the time being im going to find the biggest pot i can and feed it like crazy for the next 10 years

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
Needles do not appear as JBP. Decently moving trunk already. Seems a shame not to use as Bonsai.
It will be a bonsai, i just want it to be anywhere from 4 to 6 foot in height when complete. I may be able to enjoy it in 20 years time.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Based on the bark texture, color, and fine, long yellow needles, it appears to be a huangshan pine.
My thoughts also. Pinus hwangshanensis, not P. thunbergii. Wikipedia says the 2 are closely related so maybe that's the reference to species split. Common names - Anyone can make up a common name if they think it will sell some plants but that does not excuse selling plants under the wrong proper name.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I guess I just assumed the grower was reputable enough to put the correct scientific name on the pot. But the needles are a dead ringer for huangshan pine. That's cool though, they don't sell them here in the states. I had to grow mine from seed. They will grow like crazy in your climate. They are a traditional chinese penjing tree, or so my books say.

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
Cheers for the replies! Im excited to experiment on this, i have two other pines tha tf i have been growing for 5 years and not put much thought into, so it will be good to finally start properly learning about pines

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Nice looking start! Why not plant 'them' in the ground as an even faster way of 'fattening' them. Do a little in ground root pruning from time to time and yep you'll have something of interest. Don't forget to enjoy them along the way..... Growing!

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
Nice looking start! Why not plant 'them' in the ground as an even faster way of 'fattening' them. Do a little in ground root pruning from time to time and yep you'll have something of interest. Don't forget to enjoy them along the way..... Growing!
I am living in a rental which makes it hard, i definitely could and have before however i do not like the uncertainty of not knowing when i will have to move out.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Oversize pots are a good start for renters to increase growth rates. Sitting pots on the ground and allowing roots to escape increases growth even more and cutting escape roots won't usually hurt the trees if you need to move during growing season or move them to shelter for winter
The alternative is slower development but I find that gives much better control and reduces problems. Longer term but more, better results.

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
Oversize pots are a good start for renters to increase growth rates. Sitting pots on the ground and allowing roots to escape increases growth even more and cutting escape roots won't usually hurt the trees if you need to move during growing season or move them to shelter for winter
The alternative is slower development but I find that gives much better control and reduces problems. Longer term but more, better results.
That is exactly what i have done with this black pine since 2016. feed and forget, apart from occasionally remove the middle branches.

Its at a point now where i need to do some root work and decide if i want to continue to grow the trunk for another 5 years.

20210606_143209.jpg20210606_143347.jpg
I have 2 main options for a new leader.

Last edited:

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seems trees you show headed in good direction. Idea of Omono size tree also appeals here. Do not see your Huangshan Pine taking 20 years to become very interesting tree. Please post future progress.

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
So a rather dramatic update this pine.

I rushed into bending it without taking any precautions, SNAP! I just quickly put some duct tape over it, id assume i should probably super glue it?

I would be very surprised if the top section survived this. There are 3 branches growing bellow the snap for a new leader if the who tree doesnt die.

20210609_134727.jpg20210609_134923.jpg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's pretty dramatic! If all cambium 360 degrees not broken upper tree may survive. Hard lesson learned. If upper tree survives suggest please to leave tape on for another year to protect any healing happening. For future reference dramatic bends can be made by stages over several weeks time always watching(as Ryan Neil suggests)to see tiny cracks/breaks in bark where stretching happens. When seen STOP!

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
That's pretty dramatic! If all cambium 360 degrees not broken upper tree may survive. Hard lesson learned. If upper tree survives suggest please to leave tape on for another year to protect any healing happening. For future reference dramatic bends can be made by stages over several weeks time always watching(as Ryan Neil suggests)to see tiny cracks/breaks in bark where stretching happens. When seen STOP!
I knew better i was just rushing nota nd not thinking. If the to dies and one if the new leaders survives i will have a lot more design options than i currently have so im not too bothered

Top Bottom