"Chinese" bonsai

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought several books a couple months ago that I've been working my way through, and so far my favorite has been this one, edition dated 1982.
View attachment 444693
I'd recommend it as an indispensable reference for beginning and intermediate miniature tree people. It touches on the history and various schools of penjing, with large sections for both tree and rock penjing. The aesthetics discussion is heavier in the rock section, but the tree section does go a bit into the relationship between tree and pot as has already been mentioned in this thread.

Since starting it, I've come to the belief that the sort of North American bonsai culture that many people on BNut are looking for will be a bit more along the lines of penjing than Japanese bonsai, but with it's own unique western flair.
In Europe, I suspect it will be closer to bonsai, but with the enormous variety of cultures it's impossible to speak for an entire continent.
Couldn't speak as to other regions of the world.
Pretty decent penjing book. It was mostly the only authoritative book out there for a while in the late 80's and early 90's...

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought several books a couple months ago that I've been working my way through, and so far my favorite has been this one, edition dated 1982.
View attachment 444693
I'd recommend it as an indispensable reference for beginning and intermediate miniature tree people. It touches on the history and various schools of penjing, with large sections for both tree and rock penjing. The aesthetics discussion is heavier in the rock section, but the tree section does go a bit into the relationship between tree and pot as has already been mentioned in this thread.

Since starting it, I've come to the belief that the sort of North American bonsai culture that many people on BNut are looking for will be a bit more along the lines of penjing than Japanese bonsai, but with it's own unique western flair.
In Europe, I suspect it will be closer to bonsai, but with the enormous variety of cultures it's impossible to speak for an entire continent.
Couldn't speak as to other regions of the world.
Its one of my favorite books to peruse.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Good to know I can pick 'em right, if only by accident.

All cultures, upon a certain indeterminate point in their evolution, become fascinated by things in miniature as much as giant things. Like holding a bit of life itself in your hands.
Chinese art and science hit that point long before much of the rest of the world, but unlike the rest of the world did not experience the same extremes of high and low tides of cultural shifts. They somehow maintained a somewhat more balanced footing, which allowed for practices like penjing to become more refined earlier. None of this is to say China didn't experience it's fair share of changes historically, but culture overall remained stable. As though culture was the cause and political shifts the effect, until more recent centuries at least.

I would also posit that geography played a significant part in the stylistic differences between penjing and bonsai. China with vast territories and resources had little pressure to conserve, a relatively large upper and middle classes, and an enormous industrial base for being pre-industrial revolution. Japan, on the other hand, is a nation of islands with constricted geography, restricted resources, and for most of it's history a very small upper class population ruling over a fairly small middle class and giant lower class. Bonsai had to be modest if it was to be practiced. Pots had to be simple so they could be reused for many different trees over many years, or even generations. They were very limited in purpose, so constituted a very frivolous expense. Trees themselves were understood to be a renewable but valuable resource, so the best were cared for immaculately, and propagation became a stronger priority.

These are just some of my own thoughts and examples of what I look for in the differences between the two.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
"The Chinese art of Bonsai and potted Landscapes" is my favorite book on the subject. This book touches on EVERY facet(from history, to individual schools/methods, to more terminology than you'd imagine.... to facilitate your Penzai deep-dive.

Highly HIGHLY recommend.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Like I said, I feel like much of the western world tends toward penjing more than bonsai, but simply by the fact that we were introduced to it by the Japanese, that Japanese tradition will continue to play a huge role.
I personally foresee a minimized landscape featuring an immaculate tree as the common execution. Figurines or mudmen to help turn rustic style pots into bits of earth or water without allowing the pot to distract from the whole, all attention beginning and ending with the tree, but the eyes journey throughout the entire composition the rest of the cycle.

I think like most of us, people will start their personal journey with bonsai, but a great many will settle down in penjing.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wonder on those miniature landscapes if they swap out the boxwood shrubs over time. and just let the main focal tree grow a big trunk.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I wonder on those miniature landscapes if they swap out the boxwood shrubs over time. and just let the main focal tree grow a big trunk.

I haven't gotten deep enough in to say anything for certain, but I imagine that depending on how the "pockets" that hold the trees are made, and the sorts of trees used, they would have the option of replacing them when they want, or treating each tree as bonsai and keeping it there indefinitely except for "repotting" to trim the roots.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I forget the specimen tree but this landscape was so cool. The article was pondering who was the bonsai artist, as a famous bonsai artist started it during a demo and then gave it to a student, who cared for it for 20 years, he also became famous, and when he retired gave it to the museum. the whole center is just plain hardscape, with the two sides raised soil, and the tree arching over the bare center. The tree had matured quite a bit, but the boxwoods were the same size.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I forget the specimen tree but this landscape was so cool. The article was pondering who was the bonsai artist, as a famous bonsai artist started it during a demo and then gave it to a student, who cared for it for 20 years, he also became famous, and when he retired gave it to the museum. the whole center is just plain hardscape, with the two sides raised soil, and the tree arching over the bare center. The tree had matured quite a bit, but the boxwoods were the same size.
Would love to see a pic if you can find one.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
wow that was a dig thru history tab. Stop searching and just do :) about halfway down this page:

Top Bottom