Chinese Elm’s leaves turning red

LMartin

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I have had my bonsai since Christmas and it has seemed healthy, since it first dropped about half it’s leaves after shipping. Yesterday I noticed some leaves had begun to turn yellow and there was a couple red ones at the top. These leaves are withering. Top view shows red leaves the best. image.jpg image.jpg
There is also small specks on the tree trunk; however those where likely there before but I do not know. Is my tree going dormant or is there something wrong? Is this a fungus?
image.jpg

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am not sure what you are calling specs but I see some new buds forming. Hopefully a sign it is starting to recover

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Red leaves are new leaves. Having said that it is hard to keep these inside. Not impossible but difficult. Pray for an early spring so you can get it outside.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What penumbra said, but I'll add one thing: your pot is quite shallow and this means (along with the season) that the tree's roots are probably wet. Few species like that. So be very judicious in watering while the tree remains indoors. Also, not sure what your temps are but Chinese elms take a lot more cold than most folks think they will. Not saying to plunge it into sub-zero weather, but in the future consider leaving this tree outside more of the time and even into winter until it gets extremely cold.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wrong red!? Lol!

Sorce

Indoor Trees

Yamadori
Reaction score
The one thing I see is soil looks very moist and the drip tray is full. Over watering? Yellow leaves that are still soft is a sign for this. Went through this myself of course. ;)

Top Bottom