Chinese Elm #2

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So I guess we all know how Sorce spent his morning lol, typing all that...

In addition to what Sorce said; I like the pot.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
What improvement you've done, Colin! Was the Elm wood tough as you used your cutter? As I think Dav4 says, it's the most used tool he has, and I'm loving mine. I own my first one last year, and I'm afraid I'll break it sometimes up against Elm wood. I've been sawing first, then using concave cutter to nibble away as you have.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
What improvement you've done, Colin! Was the Elm wood tough as you used your cutter? As I think Dav4 says, it's the most used tool he has, and I'm loving mine. I own my first one last year, and I'm afraid I'll break it sometimes up against Elm wood. I've been sawing first, then using concave cutter to nibble away as you have.
Yes, the heartwood was quite tough, and yes, I probably use my two spherical knob cutters more than anything other tool if you go by the amount of time they're in my hand. The key is small bites!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
After separating the layer, the remaining bottom section got left sitting around under one of my benches, and I discovered it doing this the other day:

View attachment 142230

Gotta love elms! Maybe I should throw it in a grow pot and see if it makes an interesting clump . . .

Under your bench is a magic area!

I'm gonna start shipping you all my cuttings!

Sorce

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
After separating the layer, the remaining bottom section got left sitting around under one of my benches, and I discovered it doing this the other day:

View attachment 142230

Gotta love elms! Maybe I should throw it in a grow pot and see if it makes an interesting clump . . .
Absolutely! That ought to look interesting.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

View attachment 142230

It would also be interesting to drill some holes in it and thread through some whips. Would they ground layer themselves or fuse?!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Fabulous tree and thread despite the diversions... lol
I would love to it’s progress this year if you could continue updating.
Also do elms fuse trunks like the ones above? I have this little tiny nursery stock I potted into bonsai soil in a slightly larger pot. It’s multi trunk now. Kinda like your clump. Would love suggestions on where to go from here or to fuse these trunks if possible

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone

View attachment 142230

I call those things elm biscuits. I have a few scattered around growing new elms. Toss them on the ground with the cuts up and presto! Elm trees. I saw mine out. The roots are horrible.

Top Bottom