Chinese Elm #6

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
i think its ok to an extent too, this was my preferred front on this elm, the tree went away and 'sort of' came back, so i didnt feel like the tree was running away from me
IMG_7270 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

you can make tweaks and variations to most guidelines, i kind of got the impression Conar wasnt aware of this and only made the choice based on the nebari but not really taking other things into consideration.

VA, the apex of your tree comes back, but on Conar's tree it is leaning away. of course, it can/should be trained to come back towards him though, at least now he knows that.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
so if he does go with his chosen front without making altercations that i suggested, this is what the tree will look like from the left/side view, which illustrates my point that it will never look right without some tweaking
49986848673_e7212474f2_c.jpg

the tree is going backwards and you also lose the change of direction that starts at the base, for the the sake of a better nebari. things to 'weigh' up

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Agreed with all points. I think the leader would need to start coming forward right above that wound, if something pops there, otherwise maybe that branch that comes off at an angle right below the wound could be grown into the new leader.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
so if he does go with his chosen front without making altercations that i suggested, this is what the tree will look like from the left/side view, which illustrates my point that it will never look right without some tweaking
49986848673_e7212474f2_c.jpg

the tree is going backwards and you also lose the change of direction that starts at the base, for the the sake of a better nebari. things to 'weigh' up
This view reminds me of a Chinese elm I used to have years ago:
8F5B5DA8-4C96-4B39-94DD-E36988DE3745.jpeg

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
This view reminds me of a Chinese elm I used to have years ago:
View attachment 309556

did i say altercations, i meant alterations🤭😁

i see what you mean Tom, your one was a little more problematic🥴
i would toy around with angles, i also considered laying this one down and i did consider a slab at one point, same angle i chose above but with even more lean is a possibility, like a tree leaning over a river bank or cliff.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
did i say altercations, i meant alterations🤭😁

i see what you mean Tom, your one was a little more problematic🥴
i would toy around with angles, i also considered laying this one down and i did consider a slab at one point, same angle i chose above but with even more lean is a possibility, like a tree leaning over a river bank or cliff.

Well, at the moment its been pruned back, I am happy with that. I think whatever front I choose to develop in to more, it can be done from this point forward. Theres no rush, like I need to go change something now in order to satisfy another angle.
This weekend or next time its nice weather, Ill grab a drink and look at it for a while, weigh up where I wanna go :)

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
DSC_1982 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

Taken today. I don't feel like the fact it is leaning back, is as apparent? This is essentially a slight angle rotated away from my first front, towards your front Bobby.
Getting that nebari in there but also you see the wiggle in the trunk.. it could be more pronounced by rotating to show more wiggle but I don't need to see more.
Stub facing forward will be a small amount of foliage, add some interest as your eye works way up the trunk. WIll also hide the scar but that doesnt interest me, just a bonus.

Large lower primary branch, right side will be the main source of foliage, covering the whole side. Along with the smaller 2 primaries on the left side, will create asymmetry.

There is then a small branch will good movement, and forking in to 2 going off to the back. This gives the tree depth and more attractive in 3D.

Finally, the top will have good taper, as I just chopped it and I will regrow a leader. Movement will be.. forwards and to the right a bit, as that area will be more bare. The foliage from that will eventually join up with the large right side primary.
I am really happy with that plan and I think it will look good, I can see it in the minds eye.
1592586081073.png

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
i strongly considered it a front too at one point because of the bark and nebari, but in the end didnt warm to me. i still say that at next re pot if you can bring it toward you a tad more it will look better. or you can train anything coming off the leader to come back towards you. i wont comment on this one again, my 2 pence worth

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like it. This view definitely showcases the nebari the best and it sounds like that's something that you value highly in this tree. I also think Bobby's suggestion of potting it just a few degrees tilted toward the viewer is a good idea - at least see how it looks at that angle at next repot.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
i strongly considered it a front too at one point because of the bark and nebari, but in the end didnt warm to me. i still say that at next re pot if you can bring it toward you a tad more it will look better. or you can train anything coming off the leader to come back towards you. i wont comment on this one again, my 2 pence worth
I like it. This view definitely showcases the nebari the best and it sounds like that's something that you value highly in this tree. I also think Bobby's suggestion of potting it just a few degrees tilted toward the viewer is a good idea - at least see how it looks at that angle at next repot.

Yeah its a simple adjustment that costs nothing, so I see no reason not to do that. Not sure, as this pot is quite a good size but would mind something bit more shallower. A shallower training pot for it
You are free to comment mate, I hope just cos my vision for it differs to yours (pretty slightly), you won't hold it against the tree :), we appreciate your comments nonetheless and hope will in future.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If anyone was unclear about how a Chinese Elm responds to pruning. Its been less than 1 week...

DSC_2013 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_2012 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_2011 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

I do like that bark close up..
I am going to be rubbing out buds, on Maples and Elms too. I think it is a better practice, less energy wasted on things that will be removed anyway. I think maybe there is some energy loss from doing it, maybe similar to pinching Maples, only so much till it needs to regain vigour.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd be rubbing buds.

Speaking of bud rubbing...

Does "knob end" mean what I think it means?

Thanks!

Sorce

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'd be rubbing buds.

Speaking of bud rubbing...

Does "knob end" mean what I think it means?

Thanks!

Sorce

Lol.. I guess so?
Its another way of saying the other very common insult which is .. d*ckhead.
Referring to the male... magic stick.
Crown jewels
Johnson
Pecker
Willy
The reason for men buying overly large trucks.

You get the idea :)

Top Bottom