Chinese elm chop

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
On or around April 15 I got an s curve Chinese elm from Dasu bonsai.
It was about 12 inches tall but off with its head. Now at about 4 inches tall.
This is my 2 time trying to keep an elm.
The first was an eBay purchase that I killed pretty quickly. Hopefully I can do better with this one.0AD0EE99-D4AA-47CB-B65A-CE4E8ABCCE60.jpeg0B6B2391-918E-4C07-9CEA-474EE12159A9.jpegE655B04D-89B7-46BC-9A23-AE0EFA90AB9F.jpegCF0FB44F-EDC9-4672-9903-A88D5BCF2536.jpeg6907350A-FB33-487B-81C8-29DA5BC3C633.jpeg2D971B65-16E7-419E-81FF-68BF3E1A30E0.jpeg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don’t chop elms indoors.
Looking at the pictures I would disagree.
It came back from the chop very nicely, with a nice bunch of leaves. There is no reason that the chop was the problem. Perhaps the position (Light enough?)

That being said.. Yes, just
don`t keep elms indoors.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think that it was my inexperience with elms.
I don’t know how to care for them.
Maybe I will try again? Maybe not.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This is why Ross Hopkins is Right

Sorce
The only thing I see from Ross is this-
I wouldn’t call this a reliable source on - well anything.
Do I believe a Chinese elm could be kept indoors overwinter? It is possible that it could be.
Could it be kept by me? Not without some trial and error. Do I have time to try and prove it to be true? Not right now.
40F6267F-2014-4907-98AB-72C348A5C52B.jpeg

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Here is my take. There’s no reason to come on one of my threads to bring bs from another thread that I have not seen or commented on.
I am not here for it. If @sorce wants to state some opinions then he can go clarify those on his own thread.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Here is my take. There’s no reason to come on one of my threads to bring bs from another thread that I have not seen or commented on.
I am not here for it. If @sorce wants to state some opinions then he can go clarify those on his own thread.
Ross Hopkins hit one of my threads too, insulting Leo out of absolutely nowhere. Glad he's outta here.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
@amcoffeegirl Looks like you chopped it in a good spot and it's already budding. Are you going for a shohin? I don't think you'll have problems keeping it alive. Don't forget to fertilize. I bet it will be a sweet little tree.

Elms are really tough trees and difficult to kill. I'd keep it outdoors but your choice. Or indoors now but outdoors when spring comes. It really is a hard tree to go wrong with. I figured you wanted to keep it small since you have it in bonsai soil. Make sure you keep it watered well and fertilized and you'll do fine. Hope you'll keep posting pictures of it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ross's post was clearly satirical.

These things hold truths and the "confirmation bias" is one of them.

This is to make better trees, it can be learned best here where it is happening, and what seems to be, already peacefully resolved.

Sorce

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ross's post was clearly satirical.

These things hold truths and the "confirmation bias" is one of them.

This is to make better trees, it can be learned best here where it is happening, and what seems to be, already peacefully resolved.

Sorce
There was just no reason for you to bring it up on this thread.
If you have something that you are trying to imply about me or my trees then please speak directly so that I can understand your innuendo.
I have stated clearly that I do not know how to care for elms- hence the tree is dead.
Thanks

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@amcoffeegirl Looks like you chopped it in a good spot and it's already budding. Are you going for a shohin? I don't think you'll have problems keeping it alive. Don't forget to fertilize. I bet it will be a sweet little tree.

Elms are really tough trees and difficult to kill. I'd keep it outdoors but your choice. Or indoors now but outdoors when spring comes. It really is a hard tree to go wrong with. I figured you wanted to keep it small since you have it in bonsai soil. Make sure you keep it watered well and fertilized and you'll do fine. Hope you'll keep posting pictures of it.
It is dead- lol
Several years ago actually 😂

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There was just no reason for you to bring it up on this thread.
If you have something that you are trying to imply about me or my trees then please speak directly so that I can understand your innuendo.
I have stated clearly that I do not know how to care for elms- hence the tree is dead.
Thanks

It's probably because I just finished watching a Christmas movie with my youngest that makes this hurt that much more.

I have never found this a place to be negative to anyone, it's sad that folks, not just you and not just in this thread, somehow find a way to read evil where there is absolutely none.

Makes me think the state of this world is bringing people down, which makes me want to fight against that real evil even more.

I won't damn anyone that doesn't have it to fight against it with me, but I will ask you try, the whole world needs it.

The context is in this thread. That's why it is here.

Guess I was wrong about peacefully resolved, that doesn't make the rest of it less relevant, or less educational.

Merry Christmas!

Sorce

Top Bottom