Chinese elm chop

Chrisk

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Had a ugly S shaped elm that I chopped over winter. The thing grew like a weed (had zero branches after the chop) and I finally did the first prune. I’m hoping a bud will break near the first bend to form a new apex so I can chop it lower. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Airlayer it at the straight part!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
late where I am (

And where might that be?

Bio it up so people stop asking!

Far as too late ....it probably a myth!

What do you have to lose?

Sorce

Chrisk

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
And where might that be?

Bio it up so people stop asking!

Far as too late ....it probably a myth!

What do you have to lose?

Sorce
Northern Ontario Canada. I guess if the air layer fails I have nothing to lose. Thanks!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't be afraid to leave it over winter.

Sorce

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I am surprised you did not get a mass of buds around the edge of the chop. It is what Chinese elms usually do. Maybe it was not healthy enough for that.
While it has a couple of strong, healthy branches growing it is unlikely to make more buds on the trunk.
Pruning the live branches really hard sometimes gets new shoots started but I've noticed the more you want a shoot the less likely that seems to happen!

You could try another chop closer to where you want the new leader. Chances of success are good but never 100 % guaranteed.
Personally, I would not waste time with layering material like this.

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Northern Ontario Canada. I guess if the air layer fails I have nothing to lose. Thanks!
Have you tried ulmus pumila/Siberian elm? Where I'm from in northern Wyoming, these would often go through -40/50F without any issue as landscape trees. Those in old windbreaks had the added burden of drying winter winds to contend with.

Chrisk

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Have you tried ulmus pumila/Siberian elm? Where I'm from in northern Wyoming, these would often go through -40/50F without any issue as landscape trees. Those in old windbreaks had the added burden of drying winter winds to contend with.
I would definitely try one, but material is extremely limited. Either order online (not much decent sources), or do native species
I am surprised you did not get a mass of buds around the edge of the chop. It is what Chinese elms usually do. Maybe it was not healthy enough for that.
While it has a couple of strong, healthy branches growing it is unlikely to make more buds on the trunk.
Pruning the live branches really hard sometimes gets new shoots started but I've noticed the more you want a shoot the less likely that seems to happen!

You could try another chop closer to where you want the new leader. Chances of success are good but never 100 % guaranteed.
Personally, I would not waste time with layering material like this.
There were a few buds that pushed from the cut site but none fully opened and they died. I’ll probably do another chop lower down and see what happens.

Top Bottom