Chinese Elm Cleanup

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Ohhh so the bottom is of the photo of the wire off...and the branch into place. GOOD TO HEAR! I did admire the branch on the bottom over the guy wired branch. But felt...your vission...what do I know!?! Very lovely tree. One I would be proud to have on my bench. Good job! Very pleased by your answser...4 hours.

vaibatron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just my 2 cents, but I would be inclined to loose the lowest branch. Not because it breaks "the rule" but because I would opt to develop the next branch up on the left as the counter.

With or without, excellent tree!

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just my 2 cents, but I would be inclined to loose the lowest branch. Not because it breaks "the rule" but because I would opt to develop the next branch up on the left as the counter.

With or without, excellent tree!
It is a rule breaker but it's going to stay for now. If the branch above it inspires me one day, I may lose it then. The top half of the tree still needs work but it's getting there. Thanks for the input.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is a rule breaker but it's going to stay for now. If the branch above it inspires me one day, I may lose it then. The top half of the tree still needs work but it's getting there. Thanks for the input.

100%

Reactions: Vin

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Sometimes less is more, ya know?

Attachments

• After_1.jpg
    After_1.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 89

Jeremy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice movement for an elm. I see this as an elegant, feminine tree and see the merit in losing the first branch to create a more airy feeling. Also picture a shallow oval pot in future. How's the nebari looking?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why don't you take off that up jutter on that heavy mid high left branch?

Seems a bit large anyway....

I don't know about both low branches....
But the first one can go. Or not.

Now...in a few years....4hrs × 100 elms =

"You are so screwed!"

Sorce

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Why don't you take off that up jutter on that heavy mid high left branch?

Seems a bit large anyway....

I don't know about both low branches....
But the first one can go. Or not.

Now...in a few years....4hrs × 100 elms =

"You are so screwed!"

Sorce
I think you're talking about this area:

After Elm.jpg

If so, I agree but it looks worse than it actually is. I haven't wired it yet and that is a branch I plan on wiring. The branch below it is a bigger issue for me. Wire won't make it grow any longer and that's what it needs. Your input is always thought provoking.

Those Elm seedlings are going to be a pain in my butt. I've already ordered 320 cell seedling trays to get some started. I'll never see them as bonsai but maybe someone else will someday.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wire won't make it grow any longer and that's what it needs

Taking it oughtta that share will.

Man...this is really looking nice....
I'd cut that now....

It doesn't look bad at all...
Just looks about to be too big.

Sorce

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sometimes less is more, ya know?
I agree that your image is more like what the rules say bonsai should be and I've done virts like this of the tree as well. However, I am very stubborn and don't want to follow the path of "cookie-cutter" bonsai. My trees will never be in a National Show and are really just for my own enjoyment and pleasure so I want to keep the tree as is for now. I always do appreciate the insight though. Makes us think and banter and stuff. :)

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is a nice elm. Nice ones seem to be hard to find. I've been looking around for one that wasn't an "S" trunk which seem to be all growers know to do with them.

Mind if I ask where you got this one?

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is a nice elm. Nice ones seem to be hard to find. I've been looking around for one that wasn't an "S" trunk which seem to be all growers know to do with them.

Mind if I ask where you got this one?
Thank you and I don't mind at all: D & L Nursery in Ocklawaha, Florida. David, his wife Linda and David Jr. (He's not David's son) are great folks. Unfortunately, he doesn't sell online. However, you can call David Jr. and describe what you're looking for and I'm sure he'll send photos of what they have. You can tell them the "Cheapskate" from Panama City sent you if you decide to call.

Funny, what I liked about this one was it didn't have such a pronounced "S" trunk. Great minds...

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think this is great the way it is,I would definately keep the bottom branch.Its a great branch.

Top Bottom