Chinese Elm Cleanup

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you're talking about this area:

View attachment 99336

If so, I agree but it looks worse than it actually is. I haven't wired it yet and that is a branch I plan on wiring. The branch below it is a bigger issue for me. Wire won't make it grow any longer and that's what it needs. Your input is always thought provoking.

Those Elm seedlings are going to be a pain in my butt. I've already ordered 320 cell seedling trays to get some started. I'll never see them as bonsai but maybe someone else will someday.
Why not use that one as the new apex branch? Remove the existing apex and rebuild the top. It would increase taper as well as move further from cookie cutter. Just a thought....SK

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Why not use that one as the new apex branch? Remove the existing apex and rebuild the top. It would increase taper as well as move further from cookie cutter. Just a thought....SK
Whoa, I didn't see that one coming. I'll have to study the suggestion a while.

Jeremy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As per my original comment, this is my take on it. With a bit of a tilt to bring the current apex back over the centre.
Then build up some fine, dense ramification. Its naturalistic, far from being cookie-cutter.

Attachments

• After.jpg
    After.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 50
Reactions: Vin

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

@Vin I gotta second that!

Plus you got a nice lil broom out of the old apex.
It's Florida.

I say go for it....

Sorce

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Vin, Thinking about your elm, I took the liberty to do a sketch of my little thought, It is based on sorce's early comment, so blame it on him! lol ! view with lower branch, 1 without. A third option would retain part of the lowest branch but use it more as a back branch, if I recall correctly, you mentioned that it came from the backside anyway. I like the tree just as it is, these are just a few oddball ideas. Again, blame the wisened one from Illinois !!DSCN1636.JPG DSCN1635.JPG

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Arf fark.....

That's your shit SK!

Honestly.....this is one of the best internet Wanked trees ever....if Vin does it !

Then again.....Vin got a few seedlings to tend to!

Like Vin telling me to put that big trun.k center.......Internet bonsai Wanking to a goal!

Cheers!

Now if Lance layers that whatever the f it was.....we're getting somewhere!

If. I made a layer today.....I would be bloodier than Starfox!

Sorce

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey Vin, Thinking about your elm, I took the liberty to do a sketch of my little thought, It is based on sorce's early comment, so blame it on him! lol ! view with lower branch, 1 without. A third option would retain part of the lowest branch but use it more as a back branch, if I recall correctly, you mentioned that it came from the backside anyway. I like the tree just as it is, these are just a few oddball ideas. Again, blame the wisened one from Illinois !!
Nice images! I was going for the look you created in the first image. However, the second image has merit as well. It's an elm and it has already filled in quite a bit since I posted it. Decisions decisions...

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Arf fark.....

That's your shit SK!

Honestly.....this is one of the best internet Wanked trees ever....if Vin does it !

Then again.....Vin got a few seedlings to tend to!

Like Vin telling me to put that big trun.k center.......Internet bonsai Wanking to a goal!

Cheers!

Now if Lance layers that whatever the f it was.....we're getting somewhere!

If. I made a layer today.....I would be bloodier than Starfox!

Sorce
I potted up 108 of them so I have plenty of time to work on my trees. ;)

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey Vin, Thinking about your elm, I took the liberty to do a sketch of my little thought, It is based on sorce's early comment, so blame it on him! lol ! view with lower branch, 1 without. A third option would retain part of the lowest branch but use it more as a back branch, if I recall correctly, you mentioned that it came from the backside anyway. I like the tree just as it is, these are just a few oddball ideas. Again, blame the wisened one from Illinois !!View attachment 101415View attachment 101416
Okay, so over the past few weeks I've vacillated between keeping or removing the branch. I have decided to remove it next month and bring the branches down at a sharpish angle. As soon as the deed is done I'll post some photos. Thanks everyone for you input!

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hopefully, it will look like a completely different tree when I'm done. Well, that's my objective anyway.

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I haven’t seen too many floating around here lately , not sure why? They develop quickly , I love my cork too, I want more !

Top Bottom