Chinese Elm Design Brainstorm

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Oh yeah the thing I forgot! You absolutely need to decide (using th chopped up trunk as a guide) how tall you want the finished tree to be. This will dictate everything. How much curvature the new trunk and branches need , where they start, yadda yadda

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Just an update…

Removed the moss and repotted into a larger training pot in preparation of chopping the trunk. I love the big gnarly nebari I found under there.

47678867-4690-468B-AC8E-C796B68CB383.jpeg

Idea #1 is @Bonsai Nut suggestion and the one I think I like best. Chop to the first branch, eliminating all the flaws and starting new branches from scratch.

41540214-C917-400E-B7F2-05D6DF00F2EC.jpeg

Idea #2 is from a local guy who works at the bonsai nursery. Chop above the large branch but repot again in a couple years and change the angle of the tree so the large branch would be a continuation of the trunk… Not sure here… The branch is maybe too sharp on an angle for the trunk, not a natural curve.

FCDEA542-09DB-4484-B050-03AEF5655DA3.jpeg

Just sharing ideas and brainstorming. Leaning towards idea #1 from Bonsai Nut.

When to chop…? This summer, fall after leaf drop, next spring?

Enjoying the crazy!

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The second option preserves a lot of taper throughout the potential trunk. The first option would need a lot of growth to match it

I'd say about now is the proper time for a big chop. After leaf drop risks significant dieback, and next spring loses out on hormonal crosstalk and good growth

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
This tree has grown happily in the new training pot all spring and summer. I’m excited to chop it next spring and continue developing it.

What are everybody’s thoughts on this kind of chop? Use the small branch ont he back side and the first branch on the left?

(And cut the branches back hard to stubs.)

Then do some carving down the line?

Just an idea that popped into my head.

19A8BCB2-AA05-44CF-BD65-98A531ED42C5.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I’m also just as ready to do this cut as BNut originally suggested. Being my first trunk chop, I’m trying to visualize how each chop will heal and grow out again.

Thanks

8F171E67-C88E-4752-9212-9F2FA2F808DA.jpeg

Top Bottom