Chinese elm - design flaws and the way to remediate them

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So, this is my chinese elm, and as you can see, it's seminaked now. (forget about the actual wiring , it's not operative, just a test)

IMG_20211229_121710.jpg

IMG_20211229_121827.jpg IMG_20211229_121739.jpg IMG_20211229_121647.jpg
It's the first (and maybe the only) bonsai in my collection. It was gifted to me, and has at least 20 years of training.
In my first year, I barely dared to phisically touch it. I thought it was perfect.
But as I have learnt more, now I can see the flaws in the tree. I know I can spot them in my 3D view, and you can't have that view, but, as an exercise you can try to guess wich you think can be the most important flaw in the pics above. (I'll give you some space here)

The most important of them is to me, is that branch (the only one) that comes abruptly downwards (and wich is also inside the trunk's line)
What I am planning is to get rid off it. I have done it in this pics to have a visual:
IMG_20211229_121710_LI.jpg IMG_20211229_121647_LI.jpg IMG_20211229_121739_LI.jpg

I know, the resulting tree should be a bit unballanced, but I'm confident I can perform this movements (red is downwards, blue is turning) using wires and guy wires:
IMG_20211229_121535_LI (2).jpg
Don't missunderstand me, I love this tree, and should hate to make a bad step.
Am I missing something?..(any tip or caveat will be very welcomed)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Am I missing something?

Everything?

I think the most important one, as evidenced by the lack of responses, is that you managed to include almost all of the things one can say, that keep people from "hurting someone's feelings". (No worries, I don't give a shit about that🙃😉)

"I love it", "it was a gift", "20 years training", "perfect".

Then the deeper one that is, providing a solution to what may be the least necessary flaw to overcome, which tends to serve the reader, as a reinforcement that you will accept, or may not care to hear of all the rest of the flaws, which is quite like the polish on the turd if you will.

Of course, "hate to make a bad step" overcomes all of this nonsense for me. It's the only thing that matters, so though I feel like I've trash talked this tree once before, I will do it again!

Well let me start with the good.

Before I scrolled down from here....
Capture+_2021-12-30-05-27-17.png

I was thinking this tree ain't so bad, it has a nice, if a bit thickly overgrown structure, but that's something worth working on.

Then I scrolled down.

I don't think anything below that is worth saving.

I do think everything great about this tree can be salvaged by layering off that broom at the top.

I think understanding this concept of what keeps a human brain from believing the "tree in miniature" can explain why most everything else does not work.
Post in thread 'Building branches' https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/building-branches.53346/post-923170

Utilizing that information may help you find purpose in salvaging some of the other sections via layers etc, but for me at this time, it wouldn't be worth the effort. Of course, if you have the space and care time....there could be long term plans for each branch as a second segment of taper layered off with a piece of trunk as new trees.

Sorce

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think I can understand most of what you say Sorce (and I thank and appreciate how elaborated your answer is)

I regreat to have looked for a "magical" advice that would ease my decisions in this tree. If I decide to go on with my visions, it's only me who would be responsible, and I will have to accept any short or long term consequence . I guess I was only trying to reassure my aproach of what I saw in the design.

Thanks Sorce for your comments!!!!

Davidlpf

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
IMHO the trunk is too leggy and the branches too coarse. It needs some drastic pruning

Here you have some basic advices

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." ;)

Cheers!

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The only thing that matters is that you love the tree. Many of us might make severe changes, but if you love it you should keep it the way it is. Buy yourself another chinese elm in development and play with major changes on it. Call it your practice tree - not loved as is but a work in progress. Start at the base of "practice tree" and work on an even, radial nebari. Get a concept for a style based on the strengths of "practice tree" and then make it happen.

Over time you may want to return to the tree you love and make changes.

Brian

Davidlpf

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know that it is a matter of taste, but you should ask to you how do you want the elm will look in the future: as a tree

twist0.jpg

or as a poodle

0ef76d46dd6a8613e570baef09b300b1.jpg

Just kidding, :D yours is the tree, and yours the decision

Zerobear

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
as others have indicated, I would sketch the tree, and make your desired changes on the sketch for a while before doing any work on your tree, other than pad improvement. Spending time determining where you want the tree to go, seems more logical than everything else at this point. Actually, you have a pretty nice tree.

Top Bottom