Chinese Elm Disease

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My ground planted elms have some serious issue with this disease. It's worsening becuase it's spreading throughout the tree. What is it and how do I treat it? Thanks!

elm1.jpg
elm2.jpg

Kodama16

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm going to let some one else chime in on this cause I truly don't know. But normaly leaves like that make me think fungal.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They are mealy bug larva. Just pick all the infected leaves off the tree and spray for bugs like anything with pyrethrins in the spray. I get these once and a while. They do no long lasting damage but if you don't get them off they will defoliate a whole tree as they spread like tomato worms. Put the infected leaves in a plastic bag and tie a knot in it to dispose.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is the first year I have ever had these critters. Look inside at the small larva in there. A magnifying glass may be needed. You can watch them damn things moving all around inside their leaf rolled cocoon.

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
They are mealy bug larva. Just pick all the infected leaves off the tree and spray for bugs like anything with pyrethrins in the spray. I get these once and a while. They do no long lasting damage but if you don't get them off they will defoliate a whole tree as they spread like tomato worms. Put the infected leaves in a plastic bag and tie a knot in it to dispose.
Thanks Al. The two elms infected are 9 ft high so there's quite a lot of leaves to remove. I'll get as much as I can.

Top Bottom