Chinese Elm - Does it need to come indoors over Winter?

CrimsonA3

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Hi guys,

My first bonsai is a Chinese Elm and I'm struggling to find a definitive answer as to whether I need to bring it indoors over winter? It has just about lost all it's leaves now (As websites said it would), and the soil is still moist. It hasn't gotten to below freezing where I live yet (Southern England), so I'm wondering what I should do? Do I need to carry on watering throughout winter, should I leave it outdoors or bring it inside?

Currently it is 7 Celsius during the day and drops to 1 Celsius at night but this will obviously keep dropping
Thanks!

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No, keep it outside. These trees can be kept evergreen or deciduous depending how you handle them, but I think once it has started dormancy because you kept it outside in fall it may not be a good idea to bring it into warmth indoors. Let it stay dormant outdoors or in a cool garage, something like that

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Southern England should not get cold enough to worry a Chinese elm bonsai. I have small and larger ones here and our winter nights get down to 5C below freezing occasionally and regularly sub zero frosty nights. All my trees except Ficus live outside in those temps and appear to be happy for more than 30 years.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just leave it outside.
Mine stay outside. Had their first 20F night earlier this week.
Still full in leaf, and growing. I am sure it will just continue doing that untill the babywinter growsup. Assuming it does.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No leaves is a good sign it will be ok outside.

In winter they need wet not water.

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I have wintered my Chinese elm though our bitter cold winters. My elm sat on the ground. Partially covered with leaves. It survived our normal 2 or 3 night lows of -10 F, which is -23 C. I would say your winter will never get that cold. You have nothing to worry about.

CrimsonA3

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Thank you very much everyone, very much appreciated. So keep it outside. Water if dry? Sounds simple!

Top Bottom